Sometimes chicken Parmesan can get a bad rap of being difficult, but not with our slow cooker chicken Parmesan recipe. You can make the chicken in the slow cooker and have the delicious smell lofting in the air!
There are days when I just crave meals from restaurants, like chicken Parmesan and that is when I am glad to have our slow cooker chicken Parmesan recipe. It is great to have on hand as a recipe for a busy night, but still be able to thoroughly enjoy dinner.
I would even consider chicken Parmesan the perfect comfort food because you get a great amount of protein along with a decent helping of sauce and carbs. Making this crock pot chicken Parmesan a winner for dinner.
You can never go wrong with a good (and easy) chicken Parmesan recipe. It is a great way to save time in the heavier part of the work when you can make it in the slow cooker, just like this recipe.
In all honesty, I tend to lean on good slow cooker recipes during the week when I know that we will be busy. Some of my favorites to make are our Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (Cafe Zupas Copycat) Recipe, Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe, and Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Recipe that you need to try out!
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Recipe:
- Chicken breasts
- Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
- Marinara sauce
- Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- Freshly chopped basil
- Pasta, cooked
How To Make Our Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Recipe:
To get started making this simple chicken Parm recipe, start by spreading the olive oil into your slow cooker.
Then beat the egg in a shallow bowl with a fork.
Once that is done, mix up the Italian bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, pepper, and salt in another shallow dish.
After you have those two set up, dip the chicken breast into the beaten egg and then dredge it in the breadcrumb mixture, making sure to cover both sides.
When the chicken has been seasoned with bread crumbs, place it into the bottom of the slow cooker and continue with the same steps with the remaining chicken breasts.
Now, layer half of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken, about ¾ cup of cheese, trying your best to cover all the chicken.
Then, pour the entire jar of marinara sauce over top of the chicken and cheese layer and place the lid on the slow cooker.
Turn the slow cooker on low for 4-5 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.
Next, about 30 minutes before you are ready to serve the chicken Parmesan, sprinkle the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and all the shredded parmesan cheese on top of the sauce and place the lid back on the slow cooker to let the cheese melt.
After the cheese has melted, serve the pieces of chicken over a cooked bed of pasta and top it with some fresh basil and enjoy!
To Make Our Simple Crock Pot Chicken Parmesan Recipe You Will Need:
- Slow cooker (THIS one works great!)
- Shallow dishes (2)
Will Raw Chicken Cook in a Slow Cooker?
Yes! You can even put frozen chicken in the slow cooker. Slow cookers and crock pots are meant to cook raw chicken.
The direct heat from the pot, the long cooking time, and the steam that is created in the crock pot kill any bacteria and make it safe for eating.
Do you Need to Put Liquid in the Slow Cooker When Cooking Chicken?
While you do not need to have the chicken submerged in a liquid, you will need some form of liquid to help cook the chicken.
If you don’t, not only will the chicken burn, but you won’t have the essential steam that is created in a slow cooker to help cook the chicken properly.
You only need a minimum of ½ – 1 cup of water or broth or any other liquid when cooking chicken in a slow cooker.
Homemade Italian Bread Crumbs
This recipe uses Italian bread crumbs to help season the chicken. However, if you only have plain bread crumbs you can make those work. No need to run out to the grocery store just to get seasoned bread crumbs.
Bowl of Delicious has a super simple recipe to turn those plain bread crumbs into homemade Italian bread crumbs with what you probably have on hand already.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Create the Best Dinners with Those Tasty Chicken Parmesan Flavors:
- Baked Crispy Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Sliders Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Casserole Recipe
- Sheet Pan Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Baked Chicken Parmesan Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Parmesan Manicotti
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs Recipe
- Easy Chicken Parmesan Soup Recipe
- Easy Baked Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- Baked Chicken Parmesan and Zucchini Noodles
Make More Chicken Dinners in the Slow Cooker:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli over Rice Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Vegetables Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Ranch Enchiladas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Bourbon Chicken Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan Recipe
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- ½ cup Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese divided
- 23 ounces marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- chopped fresh basil optional topping
- 10 ounces pasta cooked
- Spread the olive oil into the bottom of your crock pot.
- Beat the egg with a fork in a separate bowl.
- Mix the bread crumbs with the seasonings and the grated Parmesan cheese in another separate dish.
- Dip the chicken into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides with crumbs, cheese and seasonings. Place the chicken breast pieces in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Layer half of the shredded mozzarella cheese on top (about 3/4 cup of shredded cheese).
- Cover chicken and cheese with entire jar of marinara sauce. Close lid and cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3.
- About 30 minutes before serving, sprinkle remaining shredded mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese over top of sauce and place the lid back on top of the slow cooker to let it finish cooking and allowing cheese to melt.
- Top with chopped fresh basil and serve over cooked pasta.
- This recipe uses Italian bread crumbs to help season the chicken. However, if you only have plain bread crumbs you can make those work. No need to run out to the grocery store just to get seasoned bread crumbs.
- Try salting the chicken breasts before coating them with egg and the bread crumbs for a little bit of extra oomph
- Slow Cooker
- shallow dish
(Recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking)
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews
Your chicken breasts would need to be thawed so the breading would stick to them. Hope you like it!