I love this Chicken Parmesan Pasta Casserole dish because I can toss it all together and let it cook – very little effort on my part, but it tastes like I have spent all day making a delicious dinner.
Chicken Parmesan is one of my favorite dishes, but it can be labor intensive and let’s be honest – at the end of a busy day, I am not really in the mood to spend more than 20 minutes on dinner. 😉
This recipe uses cooked shredded chicken (a rotisserie chicken that you pick up at the grocery store on your way home from work will be perfect for this dish!) instead of breading chicken and frying it before cooking it.
Related Recipe: Want even more Chicken Parm?! Try this Baked Crispy Chicken Parmesan!
Tips for making this Chicken Parmesan Pasta Casserole:
- Any type of pasta will work for this dish – I like penne pasta, but bowtie (farfalle) noodles are great, ziti noodles are delicious, and I have even used elbow macaroni! Use what you have available.
- You can use any type of cooked, shredded chicken in this recipe (like a rotisserie chicken), but another option is to use breaded chicken tenders for a more authentic chicken parm taste. Just cook the frozen tenders as directed and cut up to use in the dish.
- You could also use leftover grilled chicken in this dish.
- Because this dish has so few ingredients, using high quality and fresh ingredients whenever possible will make a HUGE difference in the taste and quality. I would recommend using fresh basil and fresh grated Parmesan cheese for the best results! This also prefer using this bottled marinara sauce or this one.
Want even more recipe ideas that use already made chicken ?! Try these 45 Cold Chicken Recipes (Best Leftover Chicken Ideas)!
How to make Chicken Parmesan Casserole:
This dish could not be easier!
Cook pasta al dente as directed on package. Since you will be baking the noodles in the oven, you don’t want them to get mushy by over-boiling them – al dente is the way to go!
Toss the cooked pasta with the cooked chicken and marinara sauce, then layer it with the mozzarella cheese and parmesan cheese.
Top it with some fresh basil, throw it in the oven, and dinner is done!
It’s easy enough for a busy weeknight, but delicious enough to serve for Sunday dinner!
Need a quick and easy side dish to serve with this casserole? Make our Homemade 30 Minute Rolls – they really only take 30 minutes from start to finish!
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
What to serve with Chicken Parmesan Casserole:
- Homemade French Bread
- Fresh Berry Salad
- Italian Fresh Green Salad
- Italian Roasted Carrots
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
Chicken Parmesan Pasta Casserole Recipe
- 12 ounces penne pasta 1 package, (or any pasta – whole wheat works great for this recipe too!)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 26 ounces marinara sauce 1 jar
- 1½ cups shredded Mozzarella cheese divided
- ½ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a deep 9 x 13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set dish aside.
- Cook pasta al dente, as directed on package.
- Drain pasta and place in a large bowl.
- Add in shredded chicken and marinara sauce (add more sauce if needed).
- Mix well.
- Dump half of the pasta/chicken mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Top with half of the mozzarella cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese and half of the basil.
- Repeat layers with remaining items.
- Place casserole in the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heated through.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish
Recipe from Gimme Some Oven