This recipe brings back some sweet memories for me.
When I was growing up, there was a woman in my neighborhood who attended our same church and was one of the youth leaders. From about the time I was 12 until I was 18, she would not only teach us lessons at church, but would also invite us over into our her home to watch movies and hang out. She was single and didn’t have any children of her own, so she treated us like we were her children.
On Sunday nights, she would invite a bunch of the neighborhood girls my age to come over and play games (there was one card game in particular that we loved to play!) and she would have a warm chili and cheese dip cooking in her slow cooker for us to pig out on while we played and talked.
She was such an amazing example to me and was someone that I looked up to and confided in during those crazy teenage years and looking back, I am so grateful that she was so patient and accepting of myself and the other girls my age.
A few years ago, this sweet lady was diagnosed with cancer and passed away a few weeks later. It all happened so fast and I feel as though I never really had a chance to thank her for the impact that she had on my life or even say goodbye. I think about her often and the lessons that she taught me over the years.
For some reason, I started thinking about this dip that she used to make. I never had the chance to ask her for her recipe, but I remembered that it was simple (I probably watched her make it 5 or 6 times). So, here is my version of Kristi’s famous Chili Cheese Dip. I know that you will love it as much as I do!
Slow Cooker Warm Chili Cheese Dip Recipe
- 15 ounces chili 1 can
- 1 cup salsa
- 8 ounces cream cheese 1 package, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 onion diced
- Spray a 3-4 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients inside slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours or until completely heated through, stirring occasionally during cooking time (I stirred mine twice).
- Stir well before serving and top with additional shredded cheese and green onions (optional).
- Serve with chips or your favorite crackers or vegetables.
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Slow Cooker