We love to eat at Cafe Zupas when all the sisters are in town and this Chicken Enchilada Soup is one of our favorites on their menu.
It’s creamy, it’s a little spicy, it’s hearty and delicious – top it off with some cheese and crunchy tortilla strips and I am a happy eater!
My family loves soup and so I decided to come home and recreate it. There are a lot of recipes out there, but I kind of tweaked them all to make my own.
I upped the vegetable content by adding some red and green peppers plus some onion (Cafe Zupas says that they use “fresh southwestern vegetables”, so I felt good about adding some peppers in!).
I don’t know if Cafe Zupas makes their soup in a crock pot, but I love the simplicity of dumping ingredients in to the crock pot and letting it slow cook all day long.
How to make this soup in the slow cooker?
- In a slow cooker, dump the chicken, enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, Rotel tomatoes, black beans, corn, bell peppers, onions, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, and salt in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (or high for 3-4 hours).
- Remove chicken breasts, add in shredded cheese, sour cream, and milk (as much or as little as you prefer). Shred the chicken breasts and add it back in.
- Let it cook for 15-20 more minutes in the slow cooker until it reaches the creaminess you prefer.
- Serve with tortilla strips, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
Can I add the milk, sour cream, and cheese at the beginning of the recipe?
I wouldn’t recommend adding your dairy ingredients at the beginning of cooking this recipe and letting it simmer all day long – the milk, sour cream, and cheese may curdle.
Even if you were going to be at work all day, you really could let this cook on low while you are gone and then all you have to get home is shred the chicken and then mix in the dairy items – the hard part of cooking the soup is done!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
What are the nutrition facts of this chicken enchilada soup?
The nutrition facts will vary with the different brands of ingredients that are used, but here you can have a general idea of the nutrition for this recipe.
To lower the sodium in this recipe, use low-sodium canned goods (such as the corn, black beans, cream of chicken soup) and omit the salt.
These nutrition facts do not include the optional toppings, so your actual intake will vary based on what you put on top of your soup.
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved.
The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
More slow cooker soups to try:
- Slow Cooker Healthy Chicken Fajita Soup
- Slow Cooker Beef Minestrone Soup
- Slow Cooker Tuscan Soup
- Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Lasagna Soup
- Slow Cooker Nacho Grande Soup
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (Cafe Zupas Copycat) Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 20 ounces red enchilada sauce 2 (10 oz. cans)
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce 1 (10 oz. can)
- 10.75 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- 10 ounces Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chiles 1 can (I used original)
- 15 ounces black beans 1 can, rinsed and drained
- 15 ounces sweet corn 1 can, drained
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup sour cream optional topping
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese optional topping
- 1 cup tortilla strips optional topping
- Spray a large slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the first 15 ingredients to the slow cooker (from the chicken through the salt) and let cook on low for 6-8 hours or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and add in cheese, sour, cream, and milk (as much or as little as you prefer).
- Shred the chicken with two forks and return to slow cooker.
- Let soup cook on low for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and soup has reached desired thickness.
- Serve topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla strips if desired.
- We wouldn’t recommend adding your dairy ingredients at the beginning of cooking this recipe and letting it simmer all day long – the milk, sour cream, and cheese may curdle.
- Slow Cooker
- Non-stick Cooking Spray