As the chilly weather rolls in, our creamy chicken and rice soup recipe will be the perfect way to warm up. Even though it is filled with delicious vegetables, the overwhelming sense of a good home cooked meal will shine for this recipe.
Winter has started to make its appearance and so have soups like our creamy chicken and wild rice soup recipe. I feel like they go hand in hand. Soup is the best way to warm up inside from all the cold weather.
This is such an easy soup recipe that you will enjoy making. Maybe even so much that you find it becoming your favorite soup recipe to make this winter season, especially since most of the ingredient are pantry staples.
I also like that it is a new way to make a chicken dinner for the family without having to do all the extra sides since it is loaded with delicious vegetables and broth. Plus chicken soup is great to keep the family healthy with all of the different illness that like to be passed around.
I know my mom always made soup for the family. Ones like our Seven Can Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe, and Tomato Macaroni Soup Recipe would always find their way to the table for dinner and we would all be so excited and of course hungry.
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe:
- Olive oil
- Chopped celery
- Diced carrots
- Fresh diced mushrooms
- Chicken broth
- Cooked and cubed boneless chicken breasts
- Long grain and wild rice (we used Rice a Roni)
- Half and Half
How To Make Our Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe:
Start making your creamy chicken soup by sauting the diced celery and carrots in olive oil in a large sauce pot over medium heat.
After about 5 minutes add in the diced fresh mushrooms and continue to saute everything together for another 2 minutes or until it is all fragrant.
Once you have the veggies tender, pour in the chicken broth, water and cooked chicken into the sauce pot and let it come to a boil.
Then once the mixture is boiling, stir in only the rice (not the seasoning packet) and turn the heat down to low and cover the pot and let it simmer.
While that is simmering, grab a medium saucepan and put it over medium heat and place the butter in the pan.
Let the butter melt completely and then add in the seasoning packet and mix it into the butter, mixing it together until it begins to bubble.
When the mixture begins to bubble, reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the flour one tablespoon at a time until it becomes a thick paste.
Thin the paste by slowly whisking in the half and half until the mixture is completely smooth.
Continue to cook the half and half mixture until it has begun to thicken up, which should take about 5 minutes or so.
When the creamy mixture has thicken up, pour the cream mixture into the broth mixture and stir it all together and continue to cook it until the soup is heated through about 10-15 minutes or so.
Then simply serve the soup and warm up!
To Make this Chicken Soup Recipe You Will Need:
- Large saucepan (THIS is a great one!)
- Medium saucepan
- Cutting board
- Ladle (for serving)
What if You Don’t Like Mushroom
If you aren’t huge fan of mushrooms don’t worry, that is an easy fix. I would say just leave it out and maybe up the amount of carrots and celery you’re using. Or you can even add in some onion to add more flavor.
How is This Soup so Creamy?
This is not your standard chicken soup recipe. It is BETTER! While the chicken is stewing in the pot of chicken broth you will be creating a very flavorful roux with all the butter, seasoning, and cream mixture.
Once it is done you will combine the roux with the chicken broth mixture and form the most flavorful creamy chicken soup recipe!
What is a Roux?
You might be wondering what a roux is and why it is important. It is basically a butter and flour mixture that will serve as the thickener for your soup recipe.
To find even more about roux you can check out the wonderful information Bon Appetit has about what a roux is!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Delicious Sides to Serve with Creamy Chicken Soup:
- Easy Parmesan Crescent Rolls
- Easy Homemade Rolls Recipe
- 30 Minute Homemade Rolls Recipe
- No Knead Honey Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe
- Homemade Lion House Rolls Recipe (and Honey Butter)
- 30 Minute Whole Wheat Dinner Rolls Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Easy Parmesan Rolls Recipe
- Garlic Parmesan Skillet Rolls
Family Soup and Chili Recipes to Make This Winter:
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- 20 Minute Cheesy Beef Taco Soup Recipe
- Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken Soup Recipe
- Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- Creamy Ground Beef and Macaroni Tomato Soup Recipe
- Black Bean Taco Soup Recipe (Freezer Meal)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (Cafe Zupas Copycat) Recipe
- Slow Cooker Beef Minestrone Soup Recipe
- Cheesy Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Dump and Go Meatball Soup Recipe
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup carrots diced
- ½ cup sliced mushroom fresh, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 4.3 ounces long grain and wild rice Rice a Roni
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- In a large sauce pot over medium heat, saute celery and carrots in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and chicken to the sauce pot. Bring to boiling, and then stir in rice (saving the seasoning packet for later). Cover and turn heat to low.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and then stir in seasoning packet until the mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in flour, tablespoon by tablespoon, until it makes a thick paste. Slowly whisk in half and half until completely smooth. Continue cooking and stirring until it starts to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Stir cream mixture into the broth mixture and cook until heated through (about 10 minutes).
- Large Saucepan
- Medium Saucepan
- Wooden Spoon
Be sure not to miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews