I love warm, delicious soup in the middle of winter – and this wild rice soup is quickly making it’s way to the top of the list! With the fresh veggies and creamy base, it will warm you up from the inside out.
Related recipe: If you love this soup, try our Instant Pot version.
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup carrots diced
- ½ cup sliced mushroom fresh, diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 3 boneless chicken breasts cooked and cubed
- 4.3 ounces long grain and wild rice Rice a Roni
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- In a large sauce pot over medium heat, saute celery and carrots in the olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add in the mushrooms and saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and chicken to the sauce pot. Bring to boiling, and then stir in rice (saving the seasoning packet for later). Cover and turn heat to low.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and then stir in seasoning packet until the mixture starts to bubble. Reduce heat to low and slowly whisk in flour, tablespoon by tablespoon, until it makes a thick paste. Slowly whisk in half and half until completely smooth. Continue cooking and stirring until it starts to thicken (about 5 minutes).
- Stir cream mixture into the broth mixture and cook until heated through (about 10 minutes).
- Large Saucepan