My family does not always get filled up with soup, but with this hearty chicken tortilla soup they always leave the table full!
This is the perfect recipe to make if you need a new chicken breast recipe that is easy and delicious. It will quickly become a new favorite family dinner that your kids will ask for.
I’ve also thickened this up by adding a little cornstarch and turned the leftovers into an amazing dip for tortilla chips. Talk about delicious!!
This soup can be a full meal or you can serve it with some of our easy homemade French bread, 30 minute whole wheat dinner rolls, or even some tasty quick homemade breadsticks. You know, all the things perfect for dipping in your soup!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- Olive oil
- Chicken breast cubed
- Chicken broth
- Long grain white rice
- Corn with red and green bell peppers
- Green enchilada sauce
- Lime juice
- Fiesta blend cheese
How To Make Our Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup:
To start this delicious soup, begin by cooking the chicken cubes in a large pan with olive oil on medium heat until it’s browned.
Then add in the cumin, chicken broth, and white rice and bring it to a boil.
Once it’s boiling, place a lid on the pan and turn the heat down and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, remove the lid and pour in the green enchilada sauce, salsa, corn mix, lime juice, and cilantro and mix it all together.
Just a few minutes before you are ready to serve, add the fiesta blend cheese to let it melt and then serve it up in a bowl with your favorite toppings.
We like to serve it with extra cheese, sour cream, avocados, and tortilla strips.
To make the tortilla strips, slice them into ½ to 1 inch pieces and then coat another pan with nonstick cooking and then lay the strips on top and cook them over medium heat.
Then coat the tops of the tortillas with more on stick cooking spray. Flip the strips after 2-3 minutes or as you see them begin to brown.
When they are done, serve them fresh with the soup!
To Make Delicious Chicken Dinner You Will Need:
- Large pan (THIS is a great one!)
- Stirring spoon
- Nonstick cooking spray
What Can You Use in Place of the Corn Mix?
With all of the shipping delays there have been plenty of issues with things out of stock in the grocery stores, so if you are having a hard time finding the corn with peppers you might just have to make your own!
The Food Network has a great recipe for sautéed corn and green peppers that would be great in place of the can of corn for this recipe.
Try it and let us know what you think! It would also be a great side dish for any other dinner recipe.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Enjoy These Fantastic Soup Recipes You Can Make at Home!
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker 8-Can Taco Soup Recipe
- Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup Recipe
- Disneyland’s Loaded Potato Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Tomato Soup Recipe
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 29 ounces chicken broth 2 (14.5 ounces) cans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- 11 ounces corn with red and green bell peppers 1 can
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce 1 can
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup shredded fiesta blend cheese
- 4 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- In a large sauce pot, cook the cubed chicken and olive oil on medium heat until it is browned. Add the broth, cumin, and rice until boiling. Cover and let simmer on low for 20 minutes. Stir in corn, enchilada sauce, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice. Add cheese right before serving.
- Top with extra cheese, sour cream, avocados and tortilla strips.
- To make the tortilla strips, cut the corn tortillas into 1/2-1" slices. Coat a frying pan with cooking spray, and add a layer of the tortilla slices. Spray the top of them with cooking spray, and turn them as they start to brown.
- Stock Pot
- Frying pan
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.