Sometimes, when the weather starts to get chillier, the only thing that can warm me up is soup! It warms you from the inside, out! I have a DEEP love of Cafe Zupas and their amazing soups here in Utah, but the closest one is over an hour away. Their Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my absolute favorites. I added a little extra stuff to make it a bit more “hearty”, and it turned out delicious. Serve it up in these delicious homemade bread bowls, and you have yourself and amazing cold-day dinner! 🙂
Hearty Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts cubed
- 29 ounces chicken broth 2 (14.5 ounces) cans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¾ cup long grain white rice
- 11 ounces corn with red and green bell peppers 1 can
- 10 ounces green enchilada sauce 1 can
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- ½ cup fiesta blend cheese
- 4 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- In a large sauce pot, cook the cubed chicken and olive oil on medium heat until it is browned. Add the broth, cumin, and rice until boiling. Cover and let simmer on low for 20 minutes. Stir in corn, enchilada sauce, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice. Add cheese right before serving.
- Top with extra cheese, sour cream, avocados and tortilla strips.
- To make the tortilla strips, cut the corn tortillas into 1/2-1" slices. Coat a frying pan with cooking spray, and add a layer of the tortilla slices. Spray the top of them with cooking spray, and turn them as they start to brown.
- Stock Pot
- Frying pan