30 Minute Dinner Rolls Recipe

I don't know why, but I just can't make rolls to save my life. Remember the Easy Homemade Rolls that Elyse shared a couple of months ago . . . yeah, I totally burned them. They were more like hockey pucks than rolls. I saw this recipe for 30 minute rolls over at Eat Cake for Dinner and decided that I would just try them . . . I loved that they didn't take forever and didn't have to rise for hours on end. And guess what? SUCCESS! My first batch of good-tasting, perfectly cooked rolls! I am so proud. And the really did only take about 30 minutes from start to finish!! Try them out for yourself!

30 Minute Rolls Recipe:

Ingredients:
1 c. plus 2 Tbl. warm water
1/3 c. vegetable oil
2 Tbl. active dry yeast (yes, you read that right! 2 tablespoons!)
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
3 1/2 c. all-purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine warm water, oil, yeast and sugar; let rest for 5-10 minutes or until frothy and bubbly. With a dough hook, mix in salt, egg and 2 cups of flour until combined. Add remaining 1/2 cup flour at a time (dough will be sticky). Spray your hands with cooking spray and shape the dough into 12 balls. After shaped, place on lightly greased cookie sheet and let rest for 10 minutes. Bake for about 10 minutes or until tops are lightly golden. Yield: 12 good-sized rolls. You can also use this same dough for cinnamon rolls!

(adapted from: Real Mom Kitchen)

Looking for more delicious roll recipes?
Here are a few of our favorites:
  1. Camille says:

Hi Athena! I have actually made these without any mixer- I totally mixed them by hand and it worked great! I think that a hand mixer would work just fine!

2. Heather says:

I just wanted to verify that it is 3 1/2 cups of flour. Mine seemed a bit more dense than yours- well, what your picture looks like…..

3. I’ve made these twice now and I love how fast and good they are! I add about 1/2 cup more flour than the recipe calls for so it’s a little easier to roll out into balls. I then get around 16 smaller rolls.

4. Kim says:

I made these tonight and they were just as easy and delicious as you said! I’m a spaz when it comes to making homemade breads, so this felt like victory! Thanks for sharing! :)

5. mdbkids says:

I did it! My husband is actually a superb breadmaker, me, I’m more like lead bread. LOL. But he had to word last night and I wanted to surprise him. He was very, very impressed. He knows how important it is to me to try to get it right, finally:-) Thank you so much. It was fun & easy.

6. Six Sisters says:

In answer to Beth’s question above, we used a 9×13 inch pan for the rolls. We looked up the difference between a regular oven and a convection oven and it said a convection oven generates heats and constantly circulates the air, so the heat is even at all times, great for baking, a regular ovens heat comes from one area and the air is not circulated. The heat is either steady from bottom or top. Hope this helps!

7. Ilana says:

My daughter wants to make these for something at school. Do you think they can be prepared at night, refrigerated and then baked in the morning?

• Six Sisters says:

I’m not sure about bread and how the yeast reacts to refrigeration . . . there is a lot of yeast in this, which is why they rise and cook so fast. Not sure what to tell you. Sorry we aren’t more help on this question. Best of luck to you. -The Six Sisters

• Pam says:

I would put the dough in the refrigerator overnight, let it get warm in the morning, mold into rolls and put on the pans then. You will probably have to punch the dough down as it will still rise a little in the refrigerator.

• Six Sisters says:

We’re afraid that wheat flour might be “heavier” than white . . . and we’re not sure that wheat flour and white flour can be interchanged cup for cup (isn’t it 3/4 cup wheat = 1 cup white?). Maybe do half wheat and half white? We haven’t changed it out ourselves so we aren’t sure how it will all turn out. Let us know!

• Pam says:

I have made a mix of 11 grains for my bread baking. I doubled this recipe today (first time to make it) and added 1 cup of my heavy grains to the dough. Since the whole grains don’t absorb much liquid, I found I still needed to all a little more white flour. My mixture also included whole wheat flour, flax seed, bran, wheat germ, etc. and these were the lightest and fluffiest rolls (and I’ve been baking bread for home for 40+ years.) Go ahead and substitute 1 cup of the whole wheat for 1 cup of the white flour if you want. You will not be disappointed with the turnout.

8. Jessica Cron says:

I’ve looked around online and am just getting confused about yeast. I have instant dry yeast, do you know how the recipe would change? I keep getting stuff telling me to multiply by .75 and add such and such for water and these rolls are becoming more complicated haha

9. Kelly Donald-Miller says:

These are the perfect wedding dinner rolls for those who are having a small at home dinner with family. I also brushed them with a garlic and herb butter, Oh my they were so yummy.

10. Christene Houston says:

These were great and quick. The key to getting that nice roll dough is to let your dough be a little sticky. Stop adding flour before the dough gets dry. My rolls were nice and big and we needed to bake for 15 minutes. Also, we found that this recipe could have used a bit more salt. Maybe 3/4 t.? Thanks for a great quick recipe!

11. Pam says:

I made a double batch this afternoon and they are lightest rolls ever! I have baked my own bread and rolls for years (kids would bed for gummy white bread in the store) and these are exceptional. I made a mix myself of 11 different grains (wheat germ, flax seed, bran, oats, etc) and added this in with the flour. So many people think my mixture of grains would be too heavy, but in these, the rolls were still light and airy. Thanks for the recipe. Easy for a beginner and certainly flavorful for the seasoned baker.

12. Clara says:

Hi! I am making these rolls tomorrow night, and I plan on taking them to a friends house for dinner. Any tips on making these ahead? I wanted to prep the rolls first, and then just bake them when I got to her house. Is that a good idea? Or will the rolls double up in size? Maybe I should just bake them at home, and then throw them in the oven to warm them up? Any thoughts?? Thank you!!

13. Nádya says:

I made these rolls several times already…really easy and tasty…today I decided to put a stick of cheese in the middle of each roll – very, very delicious!!!! Thanks for the recipe..
    Blessings,
    Nádya

14. Leigh says:

I just made 4 batches of these today for Thanksgiving. My first batch turned out more dense than I wanted. So on my second batch I left out a half cup of the flour, and reduced the heat to 375, let them rise for a half hour and baked them for 8-9 minutes and they turned out so much lighter and fluffy. I brushed them with butter after they came out of the oven and they looked so pretty and tasty. So on my last two batches I rolled the dough out, spread butter all over it, cut and rolled them into croissants. I must say they look so pretty, and they were so soft and delicious! I hardly ever make home made rolls, they frighten me, but these seriously look like the Lion house rolls. This will definitely be my go to recipe for quick, delicious rolls!

15. Linda says:

Tried these delicious rolls this afternoon. Followed the directions exactly as in your blog post. My husband said they are the best rolls he has ever eaten, and he should know. He is Dutch, and Dutch bakery bread is outstanding. Thanks for the recipe. Now I can try it out on my roll baking mom. And maybe a King’s Cake next week. Linda@Wetcreek Blog

16. Katie hoth says:

Friend used your buns and made cinnamon buns that were out of this world. 1cup browbeat sugar, stick melted butter. Pour butter over buns, separate buns somewhat before putting melted butter over, then add as much cinnamon as you wish, bake according to the package, yum yum,