Green Bean Casserole is always a staple at our house every Thanksgiving. Rather than making traditional Green Bean Casserole with canned green beans and soup, I decided to use fresh ingredients to make a side dish that was full of flavor.
If you are looking for a traditional recipe that uses a condensed cream soup, you can find it here: Green Bean Casserole.
I was so surprised how easy it was to make this Green Bean Casserole without Condensed Soup!
This Green Bean Casserole without Condensed Soup could definitely be made ahead of time to save you time on the big day. Follow the recipe but skip the cooking until the day of.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours ahead of time and in an airtight container or in the baking pan tightly covered in plastic wrap.
How to make The Best Green Bean Casserole:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
Step 2: Add beans to boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes. Drain beans and add mushrooms then set aside.
Step 3: Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and parsley and cook for a few minutes until onion is tender.
Step 4: Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until well combined then gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
Step 5: Whisk in sour cream and continue stirring over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble.
Step 6: Fold in green beans and mushrooms until evenly coated.
Step 7: Add half the cheese and fried onions and mix until well combined.
Step 8: Pour green bean mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions on top.
Step 9: Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Need more recipes?
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
If you are planning Thanksgiving dinner, be sure to check out all of our favorite Thanksgiving recipes:
- How To Cook a Thanksgiving Turkey
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Strawberry Jello Fluff Salad
- Easy Sweet Cornbread
- Simple Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Fluffy Cranberry Salad
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- The BEST Candied Yams without Corn Syrup
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
Homemade Green Bean Casserole Recipe without Condensed Soup
- 2 pounds fresh green beans (rinsed and trimmed)
- 1 (8 ounce) package fresh sliced mushrooms
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 onion diced
- 1 Tablespoon fresh parsley chopped
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (2.8 ounce) can french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add beans to boiling water and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain beans and add mushrooms then set aside.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and parsley and cook for a few minutes until onion is tender.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper until well combined then gradually whisk in milk, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Whisk in sour cream and continue stirring over medium heat until sauce begins to bubble.
- Fold in green beans and mushrooms until evenly coated.
- Add half the cheese and fried onions and mix until well combined.
- Pour green bean mixture into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese and onions on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
Looking for more delicious Thanksgiving side dishes? Try The Best Candied Yams without Corn Syrup!