These Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes are the perfect dish for Thanksgiving or large gatherings.
When cooking a big meal, it’s nice to have some of your side dishes done ahead of time and keeping warm in the slow cooker.
Mashed potatoes are a staple for any holiday or Sunday dinner.
With this slow cooker creamy mashed potatoes recipe, you will get the most creamy, flavorful, butter, and delicious mashed potatoes you’ve ever tasted.
Making our Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Red Potatoes:
I don’t know about you, but mashed potatoes are one of my favorite dishes for holiday dinners. Add a little gravy (try our How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch) and you’ve hit the jackpot!
This recipe for creamy slow cooker mashed red potatoes might just be the talk of dinner.
Creamy mashed potatoes with sour cream are probably not something many people would think to combine together, but you’ll change your mind with this delicious recipe.
How Many Potatoes Will I Need To Make Mashed Potatoes?
Trying to figure out how much to make without having too many leftovers, or worse, not enough Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes?
When it comes to knowing how many pounds of potatoes you need to make mashed potatoes for the number of guests coming, THIS is the best little calculator for that, we like to use.
You might want to try another favorite potato recipe. This Twice Baked Potato Casserole is a family favorite!
Ingredients for Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes?
- Red potatoes
- Minced garlic
- Chicken boullion cubes
- Sour cream (lite or fat-free is fine)
- Butter (lite or fat-free is fine)
- White ground pepper (optional)
I love to sprinkle some with white ground pepper (you can just get it at the grocery store on the spices aisle). It adds and incredible flavor to these (but a little bit goes a long way)!
If you want to add even more flavor to these delicious creamy mashed potatoes, you can try and make these Homemade Ranch Seasoning Mix and add 2-3 Tablespoons to the mashed potato mixture.
IF YOU LOVE CHEESY POTATOES, BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR MOM’S AMAZING SLOW COOKER CHEESY POTATOES!
Items Needed to Make this Thanksgiving Potluck Crockpot Recipe:
- 6 or 8 quart slow cooker (THIS is a great one!)
- Large pan
- Two large mixing bowls
- Mixer or potato masher (hand or stand mixer work, the Kitchen Aid is definitely a favorite here!)
Things to Note Before Making The Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
- You can double the recipe, you will just want to make sure that you have a large enough slow cooker to accommodate all the potatoes! I would recommend an 8-quart slow cooker if you double the recipe.
- The recipe calls for red potatoes, but you could also use russet potatoes and Yukon gold potatoes – they are all delicious.
- The secret to the creaminess is the mix of sour cream and cream cheese.
- The reason you keep it in the slow cooker is to let the flavors meld together – it makes the best flavored potatoes!
- If you have to travel, this is a dish that can travel easily (especially if you use a slow cooker that has one of the licking lids!)
- If you want smooth mashed potatoes, I would choose either the hand mixer or stand mixer since they can eliminate most of the lumps.
COMPLETE YOUR THANKSGIVING MEAL WITH OUR FAVORITE DISHES:
- How To Cook A Thanksgiving Turkey
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Green Bean Casserole
- How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Creamed Corn
- Strawberry Jello Fluff Salad
- Easy Sweet Cornbread
- Simple Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Fluffy Cranberry Salad
How to Make Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
Put water in a large pot and place it on the stove, add some salt and bring the water to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add in the chunks of red potatoes, garlic, bouillon and cook them until the potatoes are tender but still firm.
It should only take the potatoes about 15 minutes for them to get to the right consistency.
Then drain the water from the pot, but be sure to place the colander over andother bowl to catch the water as we will need it later.
In another large bowl, mash together the tender red potato chunks with sour cream and cream cheese with either a mixer or a potato masher.
To get the type of consistency you want gradually add in the reserved water.
Once the mashed potatoes have reached the type of consistency you like, transfer the potato mixture to the slow cooker and cover it. Then, turn the crockpot to low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before you are ready to eat the potaotes, stir in butter, salt, and pepper to taste.
These are great to stay warm in your slow cooker until the rest of the meal is ready. Just keep on warm setting. Enjoy your Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes!
Watch Us Make Your Favorite Recipes:
With our Youtube Channel, you can see recipes made right before your eyes. We walk you through step by step, giving you all the tips and tricks as the recipe is prepared.
Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 5 pounds red potatoes cut into chunks
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cubes chicken bouillon
- 8 ounces sour cream light or fat free is fine
- 8 ounces cream cheese light or fat free is fine
- 1/4 cup butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley flakes optional topping
- In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm (about 15 minutes). Drain, reserving water for later.
- In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
- Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley flakes if desired.
- large stock pot
- Large Bowl
- Slow Cooker
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
OUR DINNER HERO!
Our most popular cookbook – Dinner Made Easy – is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
30 Minutes or Less including recipes for: Skillet Pork Lo Mein, Parmesan Pork Chops, and Ham and Pineapple Pizza Roll-ups.
5 Ingredients or Less including recipes for: Easy Gnocchi Casserole, Sweet and Tangy Meatballs, and Baked Sloppy Joes.
Pantry Essentials including recipes for: Seven-Can Tortilla Soup, Crispy Coconut Strips with Pina Colada Dipping Sauce and French Dip Crescents.
Slow Cooker including recipes for: Honey Garlic Chicken, Tuscan Soup, and Mongolian Beef.
Freezer Meals including recipes for: Kung Pao Chicken, Country-Style BBQ Spareribs, and Beef and Mushrooms.
One Pan, One Pot including recipes for: One-Dish Baked Fajitas, Sunrise Skillet, and Mushroom Asparagus Chicken Stir Fry.
Casseroles including recipes for: Cheesy Chicken Quinoa Casserole, Country Breakfast Casserole, and John Wayne Casserole.