No need to shy away from bringing the dressing/stuffing to your holiday dinner this year with our Grandma’s Homemade Thanksgiving Dressing recipe!
Did you know you can bake stuffing in a glass pan, no need to stuff the big bird?
We have the best recipe that our grandma handed down to us.
I didn’t know until recently that it wasn’t made completely from scratch (as many of her recipes are).
I was so surprised that she actually used a package of seasoned bread crumbs, but added all her favorite things to make it taste amazing!
This recipe is my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner. As far as I’m concerned, Grandma’s dressing is the main dish.
Enjoy your Thanksgiving turkey as a side dish. 🙂
Can you stuff your bird with this homemade Thanksgiving dressing?
This dressing is great baked in a pan in the oven, and it can also be used in stuffing your bird.
Our grandma used to put some of the dressing in the bird, and then she would bake the rest in a baking dish.
Another idea would be to bake your turkey and stuffing separately and then when the turkey is done, place the cooked stuffing inside.
Can dressing recipe be doubled or tripled?
This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a larger group.
We have often had to triple it when we have a lot of family in town for the holiday.
When you double it, a 9 x 13 inch pan will work great.
If tripling the recipe, you may need to make it in 2 pans.
You can also try our Homemade Green Bean Casserole without Condensed Soup here!
What seasoned breadcrumbs work best?
We have tried so many different breadcrumbs when making this recipe. We have used Turkey Stove Top dressing/stuffing mix that comes in the box. It works great.
We have bought many different brands of seasoned bread crumbs and they all work well. Just be sure they are seasoned. That gives the dressing more flavor.
Some people like to make their own homemade dry bread crumbs and that works well too.
Can’t get enough Stuffing? Try our Homemade Corn Bread Dressing for Thanksgiving!
Ingredients in Grandma’s Homemade Thanksgiving Dressing:
- 1 box turkey stuffing (seasoned breadcrumbs)
- apples (diced)
- celery (diced)
- onion (diced)
- fresh sliced mushrooms
- chicken broth (or water)
How to make Grandma’s Thanksgiving Dressing:
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with non stick cooking spray.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the dry stuffing mix, diced apples, diced celery, diced onion, and fresh sliced mushrooms.
- Add butter to the boiling water and stir until melted.
- Pour the water/melted butter mixture over the stuffing mixture in the bowl. Stir until all combined and moistened.
- Spread the stuffing mix into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until dressing is thoroughly heated.
- Dish and serve when warm. We like to drizzle gravy over our dressing.
Helpful items to make Grandma’s dressing:
- 8 Inch Square Baking Dish – This is one of our favorite 8 inch square baking dishes with a cover.
- Glass Measuring Cups – We love that we can see through these when boiling water. We use the big one as a mixing bowl.
- Mixing Bowl Set – Our favorite mixing bowl set with various sizes.
- Knife Set – A great knife set for dicing.
Need a good holiday drink to serve? This Cranberry Citrus Party Punch is the BEST non-alcoholic drink for the holidays!
Complete your Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner with our favorite dishes:
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- How to Cook a Turkey
- Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Strawberry Jello Fluff Salad
- Easy Sweet Cornbread
- Simple Pumpkin Pie
- Caramel Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Fluffy Cranberry Salad
- EASY Slow Cooker Turkey Breast
- Slow Cooker Stuffing
- Apple, Onion and Celery Stuffing
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you! Order your copy today!
Have you seen our YouTube channel?
Grandma’s Thanksgiving Dressing Recipe
- 6 ounces turkey stuffing mix (such as stove top) seasoned breadcrumbs work as well
- 1 cup chopped apples gala, honeycrisp, or golden delicious work great
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 onion diced
- ¾ cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups boiling water or chicken broth
- ¼ cup butter
- Spray a 8 x 8 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry stuffing mix, diced apples, diced celery, diced onion, and mushrooms.
- Add butter to boiling water and let it melt, then pour over stuffing mixture in bowl.
- Mix well until all ingredients are moistened.
- Spread stuffing mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the stuffing is thoroughly heated.
- Keep warm until serving.
- We have tried so many different breadcrumbs when making this recipe. We have used Turkey Stove Top dressing/stuffing mix that comes in the box. It works great.
- We have bought many different brands of seasoned bread crumbs and they all work well. Just be sure they are seasoned. That gives the dressing more flavor.
- This recipe can easily be doubled or tripled to feed a larger group. We have often had to triple it when we have a lot of family in for the holiday.
- When you double it, a 9 x 13 inch pan will work great. If tripling the recipe, you may need to make it in 2 pans.
- 8×8-inch baking pan
- Mixing Bowl