If you love French onion soup, you are going to love this slow cooker french onion chicken recipe. It has all of the delicious flavors you love plus tender chicken topped with melted cheese!
My family has been enjoying this slow cooker French onion chicken recipe this winter! It is such an easy chicken tender recipe that I can throw together earlier in the day and let the delicious smell loft in the air throughout the house until dinner.
This crockpot french onion chicken recipe is the perfect meal for busy weeknights. Between sports, homework, and all of the holiday extra activities, it is nice to know that we will have a delicious chicken dinner to come home to.
Plus, this recipe will make for fantastic leftovers, heat it up and eat it again, or you can even shred the chicken up pop it on a sub bun, and toast it in the air fryer!
We have so many amazing slow cooker recipes just like this slow cooker French onion chicken recipe. Make sure you try our Slow Cooker Chicken Tortellini Tomato Soup Recipe, Slow Cooker Chicken Alfredo Lasagna Recipe, and you definitely do not want to miss our Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe. All great recipes for these cold months ahead!
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken Recipe:
- Boneless, skinless, chicken breast
- Dried thyme
- Dried parsley
- Onion soup and dip mix
- Yellow onions, sliced very thin
- Condensed French onion soup
How To Make Our Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken Recipe:
Begin by spraying the inside of your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Then, add the trimmed chicken breast into the bottom of the slow cooker.
Once the chicken is in the slow cooker, season it with salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, and the dry onion soup mix.
After the spices have been put on the chicken, lay the thinly sliced onions over top of the chicken breast and then pour the condensed French onion soup on top, making sure to cover the chicken completely.
Now, place the lid on the slow cooker and turn it on high heat for 3-4 hours or on low heat for 5-7 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
NOTE: If you choose to use chicken thighs they may take a bit longer to cook so start by adding another 30 minutes to the cooking time.
When the chicken is done cooking, preheat the oven to broil.
Then take the chicken out of the slow cooker and place it in a large 9×13 inch baking dish and top the chicken with the slices of Swiss cheese.
Place the pan into the broiler and cook the chicken for about 3-5 minutes or until the cheese turns a nice golden color and has begun to bubble up.
Then simply serve and enjoy!
To Make This Crockpot French Onion Chicken You Will Need:
- Slow cooker (THIS is a great one!)
- Cutting board
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 9x13inch cooking dish
What Kind of Onions Do You Use for French Onion Chicken?
For this recipe, you can use sweet onions, yellow onions, or even red onions. However, in most classic French onion soup recipes, they use yellow onions. I tend to go with whatever onion I have on hand.
Can You Use Chicken Thighs For this Recipe?
Yes! Chicken thighs sometimes need to cook for a little longer, so maybe add 30 minutes to the cooking time. Just be sure that the chicken reaches that internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit for the chicken to be safe to eat.
Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
Dry onion soup is actually used in a lot more than just soup recipes! It is such a great base of flavor and it is very versatile. You can even make your own homemade version of it too!
The Country Cook has a great homemade dry onion soup mix recipe that you can use in this recipe in place of the 1-ounce envelope of mix that you can get at the store.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Side Dishes for French Onion Chicken Dinner:
- Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
- Oven Roasted Green Beans Recipe
- California Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing Recipe
- Honey Dijon Brussels Sprouts Recipe
- Honey Roasted Carrots Recipe
- Ranch Pasta Salad (Easy Side Dish) Recipe
- Cheesy Garlic Green Beans Recipe
- Easy Boston Baked Beans Recipe
Try Even More Slow Cooker Chicken Dinner Recipes this Winter!
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli over Rice Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Gyros Recipe
- 3 Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup (Cafe Zupas Copycat) Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Bacon Ranch Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Tostadas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Chicken Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches Recipe
Slow Cooker French Onion Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or chicken thighs)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 ounce Lipton onion soup & dip mix (1 envelope)
- 3 yellow onions very finely sliced
- 1 can condensed French onion soup (10.5 ounces)
- 5-6 thick slices of swiss cheese
- fresh parsley. for serving optional
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add chicken breasts to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with salt and pepper, thyme, parsley, and dry onion soup mix. Lay onions on top of chicken.
- Pour condensed french onion soup on top.
- Place lid on top of slow cooker and cook on high heat for 3-4 hours or low heat for 5-7 hours (every crock pot is different and cooking time will vary – just be sure that the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F).
- When chicken is finished cooking, preheat oven to broil.
- Transfer chicken, onions, and liquid from slow cooker into a large 9×13" baking dish. Top chicken with Swiss cheese slices.
- Broil until cheese is starting to turn golden and bubble (about 4-5 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!
- If using chicken thighs, add 30 minutes to 1 hour onto cooking time. Chicken thighs tend to take just a little longer. If you don’t want to broil the chicken after cooking it in the slow cooker, you could place the cheese on top of the chicken and place the lid back on while turning the heat to high heat. Let the cheese melt for about 10 minutes, then serve. Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- Slow Cooker
- Cutting Board
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- 9×13 Cooking Dish
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.