When you make this cream puff cake dessert recipe, it’s like being a French pastry chef, making your own French cream puff cake that you can slice to any size you want! If you ask me, that’s one of the best parts because one big piece is better than 2 (maybe 3) small pieces. Haha.
Another amazing thing about this easy dessert recipe is that it is made with pudding mix! Yes, you read that right, this crazy good dessert is really a cream puff pudding dessert.
There’s no need to make things over complicated, which is why we love using pudding in recipes. But shh, if you want your friends to be in awe, don’t disclose your secret to making this simple recipe.
If you want more recipes to impress your friends without all the work, you need to give our chocolate pudding cake recipe, Oreo pudding pie recipe, and our super amazing layered brownie pudding dessert recipes a try. They are all so so good, but also so so easy, aka the best of both worlds.
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Cream Puff Cake Dessert Recipe:
- All-purpose flour
- Softened cream cheese
- Cold milk
- Chocolate pudding mix
- Frozen whipped topping
- Caramel ice cream topping
- Chocolate ice cream topping
How To Make Our Cream Puff Cake Dessert Recipe:
To start making this cream puff layered cake, begin by preheating the oven to 400 degrees.
While the oven is heating up, in a large saucepan bring the water and butter to a boil over medium heat.
Once it reaches a boil, add in the flour and stir it all together until it begins to form a smooth ball.
Now, remove the dough from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes to cook down slightly.
After the dough has rested for 5 minutes, add the eggs one at a time, mixing it all together between each egg.
Continue to beat the mixture together after the eggs have been added until the dough becomes smooth and shiny.
Now you will need to grease a 9×13 inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and the spread the dough out in the bottom of the pan.
Be sure that the dough is spread all the way to the edges and as even as possible for the best baking results.
When the pan is ready, place it in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes or until the dough has puffed up and is a nice golden brown color.
While that cools down completely, mix together the softened cream cheese, milk and the pudding mix to make up the filling layer.
Mix it in a large bowl until the creamy layer is nice and smooth.
When the puff layer is cool, spread the cream cheese and pudding filling mixture over top and place it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, scoop and spread the thawed whipped cream on top and place it back in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
To serve it, remove the pan from the fridge, drizzle it with the chocolate and caramel toppings, and then just slice it, serve it, and enjoy!
To Make our French Cream Puff Recipe You Will Need:
- 9×13 baking dish
- Large mixing bowl
- Hand or stand mixer (THIS is my favorite mixer. I may even have two. Haha.)
What Does Cream Puff Mean?
It is a round shell of light pastry filled with whipped cream or a cream filling – this recipe is the pan-version of a cream puff, which is easier to make and can feed a crowd!
But if you want to make the individual puff itself or see what it looks like, Natasha’s Kitchen has a great cream puff recipe!
What is Cream Puff Filling Made of?
Traditionally, pastry cream is often the filling for cream puffs. It is a thick custard made with egg yolks, milk, sugar, cornstarch, and may include butter.
The icing should be one that hardens, such as fondant or ganache. This allows the eclair to be handled easier.
For our recipe, we just use simple pudding to make things easy! What’s not to love about that?! Don’t worry, it tastes just as amazing.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
More Jaw Dropping, Mouthwatering Dessert Recipes:
- Gooey Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
- The Best Banana Pudding (Trifle) Recipe
- Blueberry Cheesecake Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
- Brown Sugar and Maple Bread Pudding Recipe
- Copycat Kneaders Raspberry Bread Pudding Recipe
- Hawaiian Pineapple Pudding Cake Recipe
- Berry Cheesecake Trifle Recipe
Make These Dinner Recipes to Go With This Fluffy Cream Puff Recipe:
- Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Sloppy Joes Recipe
- Instant Pot Ranch Chicken Salad Sandwiches Recipe
- Grilled Hawaiian Pineapple Pork Chops Recipe
- 20 Minute Taco Salad Casserole Recipe
- Grilled Honey Mustard Pork Chops Recipe (without marinade)
- Steak Burrito Bowl Recipe
- Mediterranean Grilled Pork Kabobs (Raznjici) Recipe
Cream Puff Cake Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 package cream cheese (8 ounces), softened
- 3½ cups cold milk
- 2 packages instant chocolate pudding mix (3.9 ounces each)
- 1 carton frozen whipped topping (8 ounces), thawed
- ¼ cup chocolate ice cream topping
- ¼ cup caramel ice cream topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the water and butter to a boil. Add all of the flour and stir until a smooth ball forms.
- Remove saucepan from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after adding each one. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Spread dough into a greased 13×9-inch baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until puffed and golden brown. Let cool completely. To make the filling, add the cream cheese, milk and pudding mix to a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Spread filling over cooled puff and place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Remove from fridge and spread thawed whipped topping on top; refrigerate again until serving.
- Right before you serve this dessert, drizzle with the chocolate and caramel toppings.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Hand or Stand Mixer
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.