Are you looking for the perfect dessert for a summer cookout? You will love this refreshing cake with pudding, pineapple, coconut, and real whipping cream! We add pineapple juice to the cake mix! It’s so easy to make and feeds a crowd. This is the perfect dessert for a family reunion or pot luck!
Hawaiian Pineapple Pudding Cake Recipe
- 1 (15 ounce) box yellow cake mix (Betty Crocker)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3½ cups milk (cold)
- 1½ teaspoons coconut extract
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple (drained and reserve juice for cake)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ⅔ cup powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flaked coconut (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Make cake batter according to package directions adding in the vegetable oil, eggs, and using pineapple juice reserved from crushed pineapple in place of water.
- Pour into two greased 9 x 13 pans or one greased 18 x 12 jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.Let cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the pudding mixes, milk, and coconut extract; beat for 2 minutes.
- Add softened cream cheese and beat well to smooth out all bumps, and then gently stir in pineapple with a spoon.
- Spread pudding mixture over cooled cake.
- Mix together whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla until thick.
- Spread this over the pudding layer.
- To toast the coconut, spread it on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 5 to 10 minutes until barely browned.
- Sprinkle cooled coconut over the top of the cake.
- Chill cake for about 2 hours or until ready to serve.
Recipe adapted from: Taste of Home
Related recipe: Try our Gooey Chocolate Pudding Cake!