RELATED RECIPE:BE SURE TO TRY THIS EASY AND DELICIOUS LAYERED BROWNIE PUDDING DESSERT IT FEEDS A CROWD!
would any chocolate cake mix work?
For this recipe, we used Devils Food Chocolate Cake Mix, however, any chocolate cake mix would work with this recipe.
Or if you don’t have any cake mix, you could also make this into a richer dessert, and use a brownie base as well.
We prefer the cake since this dessert is already pretty rich, but a brownie base would also work.
how should i best store this cake?
We recommend refrigerating this cake and keeping it in a container, or tightly wrapped up with saran wrap or foil, for the best results. It will be good in the fridge for about 3 days, but recommended you eat the day of making it.
The cake part can get a little soggy if you wait more than two days, but it is still delicious on the third. After that, the cake will slowly kind of fall apart, and not look as appealing (even though I’m sure it would still taste great).
It’s usually gone at the first day in our house, so we never have to worry about leftovers.
We also don’t recommend freezing this recipe. The texture gets a little weird, and thawing makes the cake more soggy.
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
Looking for more yummy chocolate desserts? here are a few of our favorites:
- Copycat Wendy’s Chocolate Frosty
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Frozen Chocolate and Peanut Butter Banana Bites
- Chocolate Cherry Chunk Brownies
Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
- 18.25 ounces Devil's Food Chocolate Cake Mix 1 box
- 1 cup water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 4 cups milk divided
- 3.9 ounces Instant French Vanilla Pudding mix 1 box
- 3.9 ounces instant chocolate pudding mix 1 box
- 16 ounces Cool Whip Whipped Topping thawed
- 2.6 ounces King Size Hershey's Milk Chocolate Bar 1
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 10 x 15 x 1 inch cookie sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat together cake mix, water, oil and eggs until combined. Pour cake batter into prepared cookie sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- In a medium sized bowl mix 2 cups milk with French vanilla pudding and whisk for 2 minutes. Set aside.
- In another medium sized bowl mix 2 cups milk with the chocolate pudding and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Combine prepared vanilla pudding and chocolate pudding in one large mixing bowl and spread on top of the cake.
- Carefully spread Cool Whip on top of the pudding.
- Use a grater or vegetable peeler to shave off pieces of the chocolate bar and sprinkle over the top of the cake.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- We recommend refrigerating this cake and keeping it in a container, or tightly wrapped up with saran wrap or foil, for the best results. It will be good in the fridge for about 3 days, but recommended you eat the day of making it.
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- 15x10x2 Sheet Pan
- Large Bowl
- Medium Mixing Bowl (2)