This soup has quickly become a family favorite. I wanted to make this soup for two reasons:
1. I love cheese soup, but my husband doesn’t think of it as a “meal” because it’s missing meat. So, I thought that chicken would make an awesome addition!
2. I wanted to try and make a cheese soup minus Velveeta. Don’t get me wrong- I love Velveeta and am not against using it, but I wanted to try and attempt something from scratch.
This soup went above and beyond my greatest expectations- it was cheesy, hearty, warm, and delicious. You can’t go wrong with it!
Chicken and Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 heads fresh broccoli (or 2 bags of frozen broccoli)
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- a couple shakes of hot sauce optional
- 1 cup milk
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic over medium high heat until tender (just a couple of minutes).
- Add butter and flour, lower heat to medium, and cook until roux is bubbly and starting to brown (it will start to smell amazing!).
- Pour roux into a large stock pot and add chicken broth, stirring the entire time you add the broth to prevent lumps.
- Add chicken, broccoli, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce to stock pot and cook for about 35-40 minutes (less if using frozen broccoli).
- Stir in cheese and milk until cheese is fully melted and serve.
- Large Saucepan
- large stock pot