Don’t snooze on this Instant Pot cheesy broccoli chicken and rice recipe. Once you finally make it, you will wonder why you waited so long to make this chicken Instant Pot recipe.
It is a delicious recipe that is filled with great flavor and can all be made right in the Instant Pot. No need to dirty any extra dishes, which is always a plus for me or anyone else doing the dishes.
You can make this Intant Pot cheesy chicken and rice recipe any night of the week, but I tend to save it for our busy nights as I know I will always get a perfect meal even in a time crunch. There is truly nothing worse than making a meal only to find you don’t like it and don’t have time to fix a back up meal.
If you need ideas for what to serve along with our chicken and broccoli Instant Pot recipe, give our cheesy garlic green beans recipe, Texas Roadhouse rolls copycat recipe, or slow cooker brown sugar glazed carrot recipes a try!
Ingredients You Need For Our Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice Recipe:
- Yellow or white onion, diced
- Garlic cloves, minced
- White rice
- Chicken broth
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- Fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Ground black pepper
How To Make Our Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice Recipe:
Before you start this recipe, make sure you have your chicken already cooked and shredded. Sometimes I like to grab a rotisserie chicken and use that and it works great!
Then, get out your Instant Pot and add in the diced onion, minced garlic, uncooked white rice, chicken broth, salt, and cooked chicken to the inner pot.
Once you have all of that in the Instant Pot, place the lid on and turn the valve to the SEALING position and press the MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK button and set the timer for 7 minutes.
When the time is up, turn the valve to the VENTING position and let the Instant pot do a quick release of the pressure that is built up.
While the pressure is being released, steam the broccoli in the microwave for 4-5 minutes or on the stove top.
NOTE: I personally love to grab a package of the frozen steamable bags of broccoli and use that since it is super simple to do. Or you can cook your fresh broccoli in with the other ingredients, but it will kind of disintegrate/fall apart for cooking that long in the Instant Pot. If your kids don’t love broccoli, this might be a great option! But if you like broccoli and prefer the bigger pieces, follow the instructions as written.
When the broccoli is done cooking, add it to the Instant Pot along with the cheddar cheese, and then stir it all together.
Now add salt and pepper to your liking and give it one last mix.
Once you are done seasoning the dish, scoop it onto the plates and top it off with a little more shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy!
To Make This Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe You Will Need:
- Instant Pot (THIS is an awesome one!)
- Serving spoon
- Pot (if you plan to cook the broccoli in the pot)
Can You Put Frozen Chicken in an Instant Pot?
One thing I love about the Instant Pot is that when I don’t plan enough in advance I can still count on using my frozen chicken because the Instant Pot CAN handle it! While you need to treat frozen chicken slightly differently than raw chicken when cooking it, there is no need to worry about whether or not the chicken will be cooked all the way through.
If you need a basic recipe for cooking frozen chicken, The Recipe Rebel has a great basic recipe for how to cook frozen chicken in an Instant Pot that you can reference when you want to try it out for yourself.
Can You Cook Broccoli With Chicken in an Instant Pot?
If you are looking for a yes or no answer, yes, you CAN cook broccoli with chicken in the Instant Pot. However, I am not sure that I would suggest cooking fresh broccoli with chicken.
When you cook the broccoli for the amount of time needed for chicken to be cooked all the way though, it tends to get fairly mushy or over done, and will break down a bit. So, if you want to keep more of the integrity of the broccoli I would suggest either using frozen broccoli or cooking the broccoli separately from the chicken.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Enjoy Even More Ways to Make Chicken in Your Instant Pot With These Flavorful Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Recipe
- Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- Copycat Chipotle Chicken Recipe in the Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Tacos Recipe
- Instant Pot Ranch Chicken Recipe with Potatoes and Carrots
Instant Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion or white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1½ cups white rice uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded (rotisserie chicken works great)
- 1 pound fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese plus more for optional topping
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add onion, garlic, rice, chicken broth, salt, and cooked chicken into the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Seal lid and turn valve to SEALING. Set MANUAL and set timer to 7 minutes.
- Once time is up, turn the knob to VENTING to let the pressure out (a quick release).
- While the pressure is being released, steam your broccoli in the microwave for 4-5 minutes or on the stove top (or follow directions on the frozen broccoli package if using frozen).
- Stir in the broccoli and cheddar cheese.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Dish onto plates or bowls and top with more shredded cheese, if desired.
- You can cook your fresh broccoli in with the other ingredients, but it will kind of disintegrate/fall apart for cooking that long in the Instant Pot. If your kids don’t love broccoli, this might be a great option! But if you like broccoli and prefer the bigger pieces, follow the instructions as written.
- Instant Pot
- Serving Spoon
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews