I love putting a quick casserole together for dinner and this is one that you can feel good about feeding your family because it’s healthy!
Since casseroles are such great meals for families to enjoy, take a look at some of the other great ones we have for you!
For the cooked chicken in this recipe, you can either cook up some chicken breasts, buy a rotisserie chicken already cooked from the store, or make your own rotisserie chicken. If you are feeling ambitious take a look at this homemade oven rotisserie chicken recipe from A Mind “Full” Mom!
Want even more recipe ideas that use already made chicken ?! Try these 45 Cold Chicken Recipes (Best Leftover Chicken Ideas)!
Chicken and Broccoli Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 6 ounces 6 oz Ronzoni Smart taste noodles (or no-yolk)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 bunch green onions
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 12 ounces cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 4 ounces reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons Italian breadcrumbs
- Cook noodles in salted water until al dente, or slightly undercooked by 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and cook on medium heat until golden, about 1 minute. Add the broccoli and a little salt, saute and cover the broccoli for about 3 minutes on medium heat until the broccoli begins to soften. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large pot, heat butter over medium-low heat, when melted add the green onions and cook until soft, 2-3 minutes. Add the flour and a pinch of salt and stir well, cooking an additional 2-3 minutes on medium-low heat.Slowly whisk in the chicken broth until well combined over medium heat; whisk well for 30 seconds, then add the milk and bring to a boil. Simmer on medium heat, mixing occasionally until it thickens (about 6-7 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add reduced fat sharp cheddar and 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese; mix well until the cheese melts.Add the shredded chicken, noodles and broccoli to the sauce and mix well until evenly coated.
- Pour into a casserole dish and top with Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray on top and bake for about 20 - 25 minutes. Place the casserole under the broiler a few minutes to get the crumbs crisp and golden (careful not to burn).