This is the BEST Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe. Hands down. I love the holidays, especially Thanksgiving.
My favorite part about Thanksgiving is the side dishes. I would happily eat a heaping plate of side dishes than the actual turkey!
This recipe does not require very many cooking tools, you pretty much just need; a casserole dish, a large bowl, a mixing spoon, and a potato masher. Aside from being extremely easy to put together, this holiday meal is a family favorite. Every year I am asked to make this sweet potato recipe, and I am more than happy to because I love it too. The secret to these delectable creamy sweet potatoes is the top of the casserole, which is a streusel topping of crunchy pecans and melted butter.
A hot tip for this recipe is that you can actually substitute the butter for coconut oil to create a non-dairy delight! This recipe takes a quick trip to the grocery store for the ingredients you don’t already have on-hand, like fresh sweet potatoes, as displayed in the recipe below. This easy recipe will be perfect for any special occasion, not just Thanksgiving. The hardest part will be not eating the entire casserole by yourself!
Are you ready to make this easy sweet potato casserole recipe? The best part is that you can make it the night before and eat it the next day. You can transfer it to an airtight container or you can simply leave it in the casserole dish and wrap it with plastic wrap. We can’t wait for you to try our family favorite.
This Sweet Potato Casserole is the perfect combination of sweet and savory and the brown sugar topping gives the soft mashed potatoes some texture.
Do you have an Instant Pot? Our Instant Pot Sweet Potato Casserole will make your life even easier!
If you are planning Thanksgiving dinner, be sure to check out all of our favorite Thanksgiving recipes:
- How To Cook a Thanksgiving Turkey
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Strawberry Jello Fluff Salad
- Easy Sweet Cornbread
- Simple Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Fluffy Cranberry Salad
- Twice Baked Potatoes Casserole
Ingredients in Sweet Potato Casserole:
- sweet potatoes
- vanilla extract
- brown sugar
How to make Sweet Potato Casserole:
The hardest part about this recipe is peeling and cutting the sweet potatoes!
Once you have peeled and cut your sweet potatoes, place them in a large pot, cover with water and boil for 20-30 minutes, or until tender.
Drain water from the pot.
Add sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter to the pot of drained sweet potatoes.
Mash by hand or beat using an electric mixer until almost smooth and well combined.
Spread mixture into a 9×13-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans and butter to make the brown sugar crumble topping.
Sprinkle the brown sugar mixture in an even layer on top of the sweet potatoes.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and potatoes are heated through completely.
Can I double this recipe?
Yes! You can most definitely double this recipe, in fact we recommend it (it’s that good!).
We do recommend using two separate 9×13 inch pans, because one pan would be too small if you doubled it.
Can you make Sweet Potato Casserole ahead of time?
Yes! If you are making it ahead of time, keep the brown sugar topping separate and sprinkle it on top just before baking.
Cover and refrigerate the mashed sweet potato mixture and brown sugar topping separately in the fridge.
It will reheat best if you remove it from the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature before baking.
More delicious holiday recipes:
There’s always something to celebrate! This cookbook is the ultimate go-to guide for celebrating every holiday and creating memories with the people you love.
Celebrate every season with us! Our cookbook, Celebrate Every Season, is filled with 150+ recipes, traditions and fun ideas for each month of the year.
We hope you make priceless memories with your family as you celebrate every season with this cookbook!
Order your copy here → Six Sisters’ Stuff Celebrate Every Season
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
The best sweet potato recipes:
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Bacon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Bacon and Chive Sweet Potatoes
- Maple Bacon Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Mash
The Best Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Sweet Potato Mixture
- 6 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs beaten
- ¼ cup butter melted
Brown Sugar Topping
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 Tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Peel and cube sweet potatoes and place in a large pot. Fill with water until potatoes are completely submerged.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 20-30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender. Drain water.
- Add sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter to the pot of drained sweet potatoes.
- Mash potatoes by hand or use a hand mixer to beat until well combined and almost smooth.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, pecans and butter to make topping.
- Sprinkle topping on top of sweet potato mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown and sweet potatoes are heated through completely.
- If you are making this casserole ahead of time, keep the brown sugar topping separate and sprinkle it on top just before baking. Cover and refrigerate the mashed sweet potato mixture and brown sugar topping separately in the fridge.
- The casserole will reheat best if you remove it from the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature before baking.
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- large pot
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?