Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes will quickly become your go-to method of making potatoes!
You can just throw them in the Instant Pot and forget about them.
No checking to see if they are boiling over.
Making mashed potatoes can sometimes be a bit of a hassle: first peeling potatoes, then chopping, boiling, draining, mashing and seasoning.
With these Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes, we’re cutting down on prep and cook time.
Give your potatoes a quick chop, throw them into the pot with some water or chicken broth, pressure cook for 10 minutes, drain and mash. It is THAT easy!
These Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are perfect for a holiday dinner or any dinner — they’ll free up space on the stove and are totally hands off in the cooking process.
Ingredients for Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
- Russet potatoes
- water (or chicken broth)
- sour cream
- milk (I used 1% – the fattier the milk, the creamier the mashed potatoes)
- salt & pepper
- Italian seasoning
How to make Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes:
Cut the potatoes into small pieces.
Place them into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water (or chicken broth) on top.
Close the lid, make sure the knob is on sealing, and cook on “Manual” for 10 minutes.
When it is done cooking, release the steam by turning the knob to venting.
Drain the water from the pot.
Add milk, butter, sour cream, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Using an electric mixer or a potato masher, whip the potatoes until smooth. Add more salt if you desire.
Serve as is or with gravy on top.
Tips to Make Potatoes Creamy:
- The secret on how to make potatoes creamy depends on how much starch there is in your potato, so stick to the starchy potatoes like Russet potatoes.
- The other trick to making mashed potatoes creamy is that you need to smash the potatoes while they are still hot. I like to beat mine with beaters.
Want to cook these potatoes in the slow cooker? Try this recipe!
Complete your Thanksgiving Turkey Dinner with our favorite dishes:
- 30 Minute Dinner Rolls
- Grandma’s Thanksgiving Stuffing
- Green Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- How To Make Turkey Gravy From Scratch
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese
- Strawberry Jello Fluff Salad
- Easy Sweet Cornbread
- Simple Pumpkin Pie
- Caramel Pumpkin Poke Cake
- Fluffy Cranberry Salad
Watch us make Instant Pot Creamy Mashed Potatoes:
Check out these other Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Sweet Pork
- Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Honey Sesame Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Vegetable Soup
- Instant Pot Peach Cobbler
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 6 Russet potatoes scrubbed well
- 1 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Cut the potatoes into small pieces.
- Place them into the Instant Pot and add 1 cup of water on top. Close the lid, make sure the knob is on sealing, and cook on "MANUAL" for 10 minutes.
- When it is finished cooking, move the valve on the top of the lid to "VENTING" and do a quick release of all the pressure.
- Drain the water from the pot.
- Add sour cream, milk, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to warm potatoes.
- Using a potato masher or a hand mixer (depending if you like them chunky or smooth), mash potatoes until they reach the consistency you desire.
- Add more salt and pepper and other seasonings as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!
- The secret to making potatoes creamy depends on how much starch there is in your potato, so stick to the starchy potatoes like the Russet potatoes.
- The other trick to making mashed potatoes creamy is that you need to smash the potatoes while they are still hot. I like to whip mine with an electric mixer, but a potato masher works great as well!
- If you need a gravy recipe, be sure to check out this one: https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/how-to-make-turkey-gravy-from-scratch/
- Instant Pot (or Pressure Cooker)
- potato masher
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!