When we were growing up, Sunday dinners were always the best dinners at our house . . . mom wouldn’t hold anything back!
We always had a delicious roast or chicken served with hot rolls, a jello salad, and side dishes galore. It was always my favorite meal of the week!
One of my favorite side dishes was my mom’s cheese potatoes – the ingredients were simple and they are so easy to throw together, but that cheesy goodness is just so good.
I adapted her recipe for the slow cooker and it was a smashing success! Both ways are delicious . . . you just can’t go wrong with cheese and potatoes!
If your family loves potatoes as much as mine does, try these:
How to cook potatoes in the slow cooker:
The prep time for this recipe is only a couple of minutes – it’s one of those dump-and-go recipes that is perfect for when you are in a hurry.
Before starting any recipe in a slow cooker, I always recommend that you spray the inside of the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
If you don’t, it is very likely that the cheese will burn to the sides and I promise that this one simple step of using non-stick cooking spray will make clean-up so much easier!
You could even use a slow cooker liner for this recipe.
No mixing bowls are needed for this dish- you are going to do all the mixing inside of the slow cooker!
Add all the ingredients, give it a stir, and let the slow cooker do it’s magic all day while you are running around and getting things done!
Related Article: Side dishes can be SO easy in the slow cooker! You’ll love our Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese!
Looking for more side dishes? Here are 60 of our favorite Christmas Dinner Sides to eat with Beef Tenderloin!
Frozen hashbrowns vs. fresh potatoes:
I tried this recipe with fresh potatoes, but I preferred the texture and final product of frozen hashbrowns more.
Frozen potatoes are actually already cooked a little bit, which cuts WAY down on the cooking time (4 hours on low vs. using fresh potatoes and having to cook for 8 hours on low).
However, if you are looking for a great slow cooker cheesy potato recipe that uses fresh potatoes, check out our Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes.
Meal Planning Made Easy
Some of our best memories were made at the dinner table and that is something we wanted to help other families have time for.
Our simple weekly dinner meal plans take all the stress and guesswork out of “What’s for dinner?” and turn it into a tradition of spending time with family.
Adjust your serving size to fit the needs of your family, and customize your plan with our library of 3000+ recipes. It’s time to start enjoying dinnertime!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Other delicious potato recipes:
- Smashed Cheesy Potatoes
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Parmesan Ranch Potatoes
- Homemade Scalloped Potatoes
- Roasted Rosemary Sweet Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Mash
Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 1 28-32 ounce bag hashbrowns
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons diced onion
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese optional topping
- green onions diced, optional topping
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Place all ingredients, except for 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese if you are using it as a topping, in a 4-5 quart slow cooker and mix until completely incorporated. Place lid on top of slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Remove lid and top potatoes with additional 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Let cook for 10-15 more minutes or until cheese starts to melt.
- I tried this recipe with fresh potatoes, but I preferred the texture and final product of frozen hashbrowns more.
- Slow Cooker
- Wooden Spoon
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!