If you are like me and love all the pumpkin recipes in the Fall, then you are going to love our pumpkin coffee cake with brown sugar glaze recipe. This pumpkin coffee cake with streusel is like your traditional coffee cake recipe but 10 times better!
Since this glazed pumpkin cake is made with a cake mix, it automatically makes making this recipe so much easier and gives you the best pumpkin cake recipe. Not to mention the streusel topping makes for the perfect slightly crunchy topping.
So, if pumpkin spice is a love language for you, make sure you might this recipe. And then when you’re done, you can decide if you want to share, or maybe make a second batch to keep it all to yourself. Yes, it is just that good (and simple to make).
Since there is plenty of time left this fall season to make delicious recipes for you, your friends, and your family make sure you give our other pumpkin recipes a try! A few that are staples for me to make are our pumpkin sheet cake recipe, pumpkin muffin bites recipe, and you do not want to miss this delicious caramel pumpkin poke cake recipe.
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe:
- Pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling)
- Vanilla extract
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Yellow cake mix
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- All-purpose flour
- Butter, melted
- Heavy whipping cream
- White sugar
How To Make Our Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe:
When you are ready to make this coffee cake recipe, start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Then get out a large mixing bowl and combine the water, pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice, until it is well combined.
Now add in the cake mix (just the dry powder) and the baking soda and continue to mix it all together until it is completely combined.
Once the cake mix is done, pour it into a greased 9×13 inch baking pan and spread it out evenly.
Then in a small mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, and melted butter until all of the flour and brown sugar is mixed together and the butter has saturated it all.
Now use your fingers to sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over top of the pumpkin cake mix.
When that is all set, place the pan in the oven and bake the cake for 24-30 minutes or until the cake is cooked all the way through and a toothpick can come out clean when inserted into the cake.
While the cake is baking it is time to make the brown sugar glaze by heating the brown sugar, heavy cream, white sugar, and vanilla extract together in a small saucepan.
Whisk it all together over medium heat and then bring it to a simmer.
Once it reaches a simmer, remove the pan from the heat and continue to whisk it all together until the sugars have dissolved and it has formed a smooth glaze.
All that is left is to pour the brown sugar glaze over top of the warm coffee cake, and then serve it warm and enjoy!
Related Recipe: Try our Blueberry Coffee Cake!
To Make the Best Pumpkin Cake Recipe You Will Need:
- 9×13 inch baking pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Hand or stand mixer
- Small mixing bowl
- Small saucepan
Try a Different Topping
If you aren’t a huge fan of glaze for your coffee cake you are welcome to either leave it off or try something else!
For a different topping, I would suggest using the Spruce Eats vanilla icing recipe to pour over top of the pumpkin coffee cake.
However, I would definitely urge you to give our brown sugar glaze a shot, it is super delicious, especially with that delicious streusel on top!
Avoid Using Pumpkin Pie Filling
Make sure that you are using the pure pumpkin puree can and not a can of the pumpkin pie filling. Not only is the consistency different then the canned pumpkin, but it also has added spices that you will not want for this recipe.
I’m all about the pumpkin spice, but we do not want your coffee cake too spicy. 😉
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
What Else Can you Make with Cake Mix?
- Slow Cooker Cake Mix Apple Cobbler Recipe
- Cake Mix Blueberry Muffins Recipe
- Cake Mix Caramel Brownies Recipe
- Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake Recipe (with a cake mix)
- Grasshopper Mint Chocolate Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
- Snickerdoodle Cake Mix Cookies Recipe
Pumpkin Recipes – Make Sure You Have the Best Ones!
- Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 30 Minute Mini Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
- Buttermilk Pumpkin Donuts with Maple Glaze Recipe
- Pumpkin Pie Truffles Recipe
- Nutella Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
- Taco Time Copycat Pumpkin Empanada Recipe
- Baked Pumpkin Spice Donut Holes Recipe
- Pumpkin Pull Apart Breakfast Bread Recipe
- Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins Recipe (Only 3 ingredients!)
- Pumpkin Cookies with Caramel Frosting
- Pumpkin Bread with Maple Glaze Recipe
Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze Recipe
- ⅓ cup water
- 15 ounce pureed pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Brown Sugar Crumb Topping
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons butter melted
Brown Sugar Glaze
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup heavy whipped cream
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix water, pumpkin, eggs, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice. Mix in cake mix (just the dry mix, not the ingredients listed on the box) and baking soda and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9×13 baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the cake (I found it was easiest to use my fingers to sprinkle this on top).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add glaze ingredients (1/2 cup brown sugar, heavy cream, white sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract). Bring to a simmer. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk until brown sugar and white sugar are dissolved and glaze is smooth.
- Pour glaze over cake. Serve cake warm or it's delicious at room temperature as well.
- If you aren’t a huge fan of a glaze for your coffee cake you are welcome to either leave it off or try something else!
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Hand or Stand Mixer
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Small Saucepan
Recipe adapted from AllRecipes.
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.