The perfect snack: Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins (and they only need 3 ingredients!).
These muffins don’t actually taste too “pumpkin-y” . . . the chocolate kind of takes over and these muffins are just a really moist chocolate muffin. I have made these muffins for my kids as a snack and even as breakfast and they absolutely love them.
I love that they are so easy to make- no eggs, no oil- just three simple ingredients.
If you love 3 ingredient recipes, you have to check out our Three Ingredient M&M Fudge.
What cake mix works best for this recipe?
For this recipe we used Devil’s Food cake mix.
However, any chocolate cake mix would work perfectly.
If you want something that will make these muffins a little more pumpkin flavored, we recommend using a spice cake mix.
They will taste a lot more pumpkin-ish, and still work just as well as the chocolate.
If you love pumpkin recipes, be sure to check out the BEST Pumpkin Bread Recipe!
What makes it a muffin and not a cupcake?
Technically, these muffins are made with a cake mix, so they could be considered a cupcake.
However, these are so rich and flavorful that they don’t need frosting on top.
You could always top them with frosting but they are so rich that one bite in, you would be done with it.
You could use oil in place of the applesauce, but the applesauce gives it a sweet flavor that we think you will love.
If you are looking for a delicious cupcake recipe, I recommend our Pumpkin Pie Cupcakes. The frosting on those cupcakes is the best part.
Did you know we have a YouTube Channel?
Watch how to make three other three ingredient pumpkin recipes here:
What ingredients are needed to make this recipe?
So what are the three magical ingredients that make up this recipe? Here they are:
- 1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
- 1 can (15 oz) unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup applesauce
That’s all there is to it! However, you could easily throw in some delicious additions. Here are a few we recommend:
- Milk or Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Slivered Almonds
- Reeses Pieces
- White Chocolate Chips
- Chopped Peanuts
Do I have to use muffin liners?
For this recipe, you do not have to use muffin liners.
You could just spray the muffin tin with non stick cooking spray.
However, I do recommend using muffin liners because it’s much easier to clean!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
How could I make this recipe into bars instead of muffins?
For this recipe, we personally recommend making these into muffins, rather than bars. They aren’t the most smooth dessert on top. They are dense and thick, so if they are made into bars, they may look a little funny.
However, if you do make them into bars, here is what we recommend:
- Use a 9×13 inch baking pan and spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread the batter out into the pan evenly.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the bars for about 25-30 minutes.
- Check them for doneness by placing a toothpick in the middle of the bars, and if it comes out clean, the bars are done. If it comes out with batter, it may need another minute or two, to finish baking through.
- This is a thick batter so they take a while to cook through when made into bars. For best results, make these into muffins.
Our newest cookbook:
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
How to make Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins:
Add your three ingredients to the bowl.
Stir well. I used a wooden spoon, but you could also use a standing mixer or a hand mixer.
Throw in any other additions. I did chocolate chips, but this is totally optional.
Place small scoops of the batter into the muffin liners.
Bake and enjoy!
Check out these other delicious pumpkin recipes:
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies
- Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies
- White Chocolate Cheesecake Pumpkin Cookies
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
Chocolate Pumpkin Muffins Recipe
- 1 box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 15 ounces unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ cup chocolate chips (I used mini-chocolate chips in the picture)
- *DO NOT follow the instructions or use the ingredients on the back of the cake mix box.
- Add the cake mix, pumpkin puree, and applesauce to a large bowl. Mix well either by hand or with a hand mixer. When thoroughly blended, fold in chocolate chips (if using). The batter will be pretty dense.
- Line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners and lightly spray each liner with non-stick cooking spray. Spoon batter into each liner until it is about 3/4 of the way full (I was able to get about 12-14 muffins). The shape of each muffin will be a little irregular because of the density of the batter.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the cake mix box (I baked mine at 350 degrees for 18-22 minutes). Stick a toothpick in the middle of muffin to make sure the middles are done.
- For this recipe, you do not have to use muffin liners. You could just spray the muffin tin with non stick cooking spray. However, I do recommend using muffin liners because it’s much easier to clean!
- Muffin Tin
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Cupcake Liners
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews
think i might add butterscotch chips instead of the choc chips though....
I have not tried chocolate but definately will, very soon!