Great ready to enjoy the best Instant Pot pepper steak recipe with rice! I can honestly say that is is the best Instant Pot pepper steak recipe I’ve ever had.
We give you the perfect combination of spices to create and unbeatable Instant Pot steak recipe that you can make in less than an hour without losing flavor. Plus since you can saute right in the Instant Pot, there is no need for extra cooking tools, which of course means less dishes.
So, if you are looking for another great meal to make in your Instant Pot that you want your family to love, this is the one you need. Especially since you can make up it up in about 15 minutes and let the Instant Pot do the rest of the work.
For more great Instant Pot recipes for your family to enjoy, take a look at our outstanding Instant Pot beef daube stew with mashed potatoes recipe, Instant Pot Hawaiian meatballs, and the delicious Instant Pot pasta e Fagioli recipe. You truly cannot go wrong with any of them!
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Instant Pot Pepper Steak Recipe with Rice:
- Sesame oil
- Minced ginger
- Minced garlic
- Beef broth
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Skirt steak (or flank steak)
- Bell peppers, seeded
- Green onions, chopped
- Cooked white rice
How To Make Our Instant Pot Pepper Steak Recipe with Rice:
When you are ready to get started, pull out your Instant Pot and press the SAUTE button.
Once the pan reads HOT, add in the sesame oil and let it heat up.
Then, add in the minced ginger and garlic to the inner pot.
Let the ginger and garlic saute for a minute or until they become fragrant, then press the CANCEL button.
Now, pour in the beef broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, and whisk it all together with the sauted ginger and garlic.
Next, place the thinly sliced skirt steak into the liquid and then place the lid on top and lock it into place.
Turn the vent to the SEALING position and press the PRESSURE COOK or MANUAL button and set the timer for 15 minutes.
While that is all cooking, mix together the water and cornstarch with a fork and set it aside for later.
Immediately after the timer is done, do a quick release of the pressure by turning the valve to the VENTING position.
NOTE: If you let the meat do a natural release of the pressure, there is a good chance that your meat will be overcooked and tough.
Once all of the pressure has released, remove the lid from the Instant Pot and pour in the cornstarch mixture, mixing it together as you pour it into avoid clumps forming.
Now it is time to add in the thinly sliced peppers and onion and then press the SAUTE button and let it all together for a few more minutes.
After the sauce has thickened up and the vegetables are tender turn off the Instant Pot.
Then, serve the pepper steak over warm white rice and enjoy!
To Make The Best Instant Pot Pepper Steak Recipe You Will Need:
- Instant Pot (we love THIS one!)
- Small mixing bowl
- Cutting board
Why is My Pepper Steak so Tough?
You might be wondering how long to cook pepper steak in the Instant Pot for. And that question goes hand in hand with why your steak might be tough.
You do NOT want to over cook the pepper steak. By letting the steak do a natural release to you keep the meat cooking, for maybe longer than it should.
So for about 1 or 1 ½ lbs of meat we suggest cooking the skirt steak for 15 minutes. This ensures that the meat will be cooked enough, but not too much.
Remember, you can always add time, but you cant take time away. Overcooking the steak will definitely give you tough, chewy meat.
Why is it Called Pepper Steak?
It gets its name pepper steak because those are the two stars of this dish! The flavor you get from the marinated steak and the peppers are a wonderful combination.
What Can I Use in Place of Cornstarch?
For this recipe the cornstarch acts as a thickener for the gravy that is created with the juice the steak is cooked in. So, if you don’t have any cornstarch on hand, take a look at Bon Appetit’s list of 6 cornstarch substitutes that you can use instead.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our newest cookbook is all about Pressure Cooking. If you love our Instant Pot recipes, this is the cookbook for you!
Each simple and delicious recipe contains clear instructions for prep and specific pressure cooking times from start to ready-to-serve.
Order your copy today!
INSTANT COOKING with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Make Sure to Check Out More of Our Nummy Beef Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot No-Bean Chili with Ground Beef Recipe
- Instant Pot Sweet and Sour Meatballs Recipe
- Instant Pot Texas Roadhouse Pot Roast Recipe
- Instant Pot Ground Beef Lazy Lasagna Recipe
- Instant Pot Chile Colorado Beef Burritos Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef Barbacoa (Chipotle Copycat Recipe)
- Instant Pot Italian Beef Roast Sandwiches Recipe
- Instant Pot Beef and Rice Pilaf with Vegetables Recipe
Serve Some of These Delicious Sides With Your Instant Pot Dinner:
- Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Bake Recipe
- Air Fryer Parmesan Broccoli Recipe
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa Recipe
- Olive Garden Fresh Garden Salad Copycat Recipe
- Instant Pot Green Beans Recipe
- Instant Pot Corn on the Cob (Pressure Cooker) Recipe
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls Copycat Recipe
- Caprese Salad Recipe
Instant Pot Pepper Steak Recipe with Rice
- 2 Tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ cup beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1½ pounds skirt steak (sliced thinly against the grain, about 1/8" thick; flank steak also works well)
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 bell peppers seeds removed and thinly sliced
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- Press the SAUTE button on the Instant Pot.
- Add the oil to the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add in ginger and garlic. Saute for a minute or until you can start to smell it cooking. Press the CANCEL button.
- Add in beef broth, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Whisk liquid together with the ginger and garlic.
- Place the steak in the liquid, place the lid on top, and move the valve to SEALING (not venting).
- Press the PRESSURE COOK button and set timer for 15 minutes.
- While beef is cooking, mix together cornstarch and water. Set aside.
- As soon as the timer is finished, do a QUICK RELEASE of the pressure (if you do a natural release, the meat might be overcooked).
- Remove the lid and pour in the cornstarch mixture, mixing it in quickly so that it doesn't leave behind clumps.
- Add in the peppers and onions. Press the SAUTE button and let the mixture cook for a few minutes until the sauce thickens up and the vegetables have softened slightly (about 1-2 minutes). Serve over cooked rice.
- Remember, you can always add time, but you cant take time away. Overcooking the steak will definitely give you tough, chewy meat.
- Instant Pot
- Small Mixing Bowl
- Cutting Board
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.