I’ll be honest. I am not much of a vegetable person. I have a hard time eating vegetables unless they are cooked or covered with cheese. Luckily, this recipe is just that.
I love zucchini and squash as a side dish, especially during the summer months. My sister, Camille, always grows TONS of zucchini and I am lucky enough to get some of the extras.
This Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Bake is the perfect recipe to make when you’ve got extra zucchini you need to use up.
Even if you don’t have a garden that’s overflowing with zucchini, run to the grocery store and grab some zucchini and yellow squash and make this for your next barbecue, dinner or potluck.
How to Make Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Bake:
The hardest part about this recipe is slicing the zucchini and squash, which only takes a couple of minutes. In other words, it’s super easy to make and you will be so happy you did.
In a large bowl, combine zucchini, squash, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and cheddar cheese in a large bowl until well combined.
Season with salt and pepper, as desired. I usually just sprinkle a little of each on top.
I know it seems strange not tossing the vegetables in olive oil, but because the zucchini contains so much water you won’t need it.
If you follow the recipe directions, this will come out perfect every time!
Spread the zucchini and squash mixture in an 8×10-inch baking dish that’s been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Place pan in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
Remove baking dish from the oven, sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top and return to the oven. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
That’s it! I told you it was easy.
You could always adapt this recipe to fit the likes and dislikes of your family. Whether that means changing up the seasonings, adding more or less cheese, or throwing in some mushrooms or other vegetables.
The best zucchini recipes:
- Baked Zucchini Bites
- Chicken Zucchini Casserole
- Zucchini Parmesan Bake
- Stir Fried Zucchini
- Baked Zucchini Fries
Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Bake Recipe
- 3 medium zucchini sliced
- 3 medium yellow squash sliced
- 4 green onions diced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8x10-inch baking dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine zucchini, squash, onion, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and cheddar cheese in a large bowl until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread the zucchini and squash mixture in prepared baking dish and bake, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Remove baking dish from the oven, sprinkle on Parmesan cheese and return to the oven.
- Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
Looking for another delicious zucchini side dish? This Zucchini Noodle (Zoodle) Spaghetti Salad is one of our favorites. Watch how to make it below: