In our house, we love Instant Pot macaroni and cheese! All of the different kinds. Even the box kind if my husband is making it. 😉
When we came up with this amazingly simple Instant Pot idea for creamy macaroni and cheese, I fell in love! It’s so great that I can just pour the noodles in, set the timer and no draining is required.
By making the macaroni in the Instant Pot, you cut down on not only the amount of time, but also the dishes to make mac and cheese. Both are wins in my book!
If you want to try out some more awesome macaroni recipes take a look at our Ground Beef and Macaroni Tomato Soup recipe, or our super delicious Cheeseburger Macaroni (my kid’s favorite meal!) recipe, and another favorite, our Cheesy Macaroni Casserole recipe.
Here is everything that you will need for this easy creamy macaroni and cheese recipe!
Instant Pot Macaroni and Cheese ingredients:
- Elbow macaroni noodles
- Chicken broth
- Whipping cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic salt
- Dry Mustard
Related recipe: Don’t have an instant pot? Try our Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese!
Don’t put dairy ingredients in an Instant Pot!
When cooking dairy ingredients in the Instant Pot, it is a lot different than cooking them on the stove top, oven, microwave or in a slow cooker.
If a recipe calls for dairy ingredients, make sure to add them once you have cooked your food and depressurized your Instant Pot. The high heat and pressure can cause dairy and milk ingredients to scorch or to turn clumpy. No one likes clumpy food.
So for this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese make sure you add your milk AFTER your noodles have already cooked!
If you are new to the Instant Pot, read our list of 9 Instant Pot Don’ts HERE!
Related recipe: Instant Pot Cheesy Penne Pasta (it’s so easy!)
You will also need these items for this Instant Pot macaroni and cheese:
- Instant Pot
- Wooden spoon
Related Article: Do you have picky kids too? Check out these 20 Recipes for Picky Eaters!
Looking for an Instant Pot? What Instant Pot Should You Get?
I have the Instant Pot LUX 6 Quart 6-in-1 Programmable Pressure Cooker. It’s basically 6 appliances in 1 – pressure cooker, rice cooker, saute, steamer, cake maker, and warmer. It is awesome!
I know there are so many different versions and sizes of the Instant Pot now that it can make it hard to choose “the right one”.
- If you are cooking for 1-2 people I would suggest the 3 Quart Instant Pot. If you are cooking for more, I would suggest the 6 quart or 8 quart.
- This is the Instant Pot I have. I have a family of six and the 6 quart feeds us just fine! It is even the cheaper one and I love it! Find it HERE
- If you want to make big meals or big cheesecakes, etc. I would highly suggest getting the 8 quart!
Let’s begin making this popular Instant Pot macaroni and cheese recipe below!
Begin by having your Instant Pot on the counter and plugged in. Pour in the whole 16 oz box of macaroni noodles and then pour in the chicken broth over top.
TIP #1: If you do not have chicken broth, you can use water, it just won’t have quite as much flavor.
Then, take the butter and cut it into small pieces and place it in the Instant Pot with the pasta and broth.
Now add in the salt with everything else in the Instant Pot.
Once you’re finished with that, place the top on the Instant Pot and turn the valve to the “SEALING” position.
Next, press the “MANUAL” button and set the timer for 4 minutes and let the Instant Pot do it’s thing.
When the timer runs out, let the Instant Pot sit for another 5-minute natural release of the pressure. After that 5 minute mark, move the valve to the “VENTING” position to release the remaining pressure from the inner pot.
TIP #2: There might be some foam that comes out of the top. Just place a paper towel over top and wipe it off when it’s done.
Now, remove the lid and add in the whipping cream, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan cheese.
Then add in the garlic salt, parsley, and dry mustard and then mix everything together! Keep mixing until the cheese is melted and smooth.
Now just serve up this creamy mac and cheese, and enjoy!
Tasty toppings for your instant pot macaroni and cheese
You can always add some protein to the macaroni and cheese. Here are a few suggestions:
- Chopped bacon
- Sliced up hotdogs
- Cooked sausage
All of the macaroni recipes you’ll need:
- SLOW COOKER CREAMY MACARONI AND CHEESE
- SKINNY BAKED BROCCOLI MACARONI AND CHEESE RECIPE
- INSTANT POT LOBSTER MAC AND CHEESE
- LOADED MACARONI SALAD
- BARBECUE MACARONI SALAD RECIPE
- WHITE CHEDDAR SHELLS AND CHEESE
Instant Pot Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 16 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon parsley
- ½ teaspoon dry mustard
- Place macaroni in Instant Pot. Pour chicken broth over macaroni so that all macaroni is covered by liquid.
- Cut butter into small pieces and place on top of pasta. Add salt.
- Place lid on top of Instant Pot and secure in place.
- Move vent to SEALING position.
- Press MANUAL button and set timer for 4 minutes.
- When finished cooking, allow for a 5 minute NATURAL RELEASE, then move the venting to VENTING to quickly release the remaining pressure. (Some foam might come out of the vent, just use a paper towel to quickly wipe it off)
- Remove lid and add whipping cream, cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese. Add in seasonings and mix together until the cheese is all smooth and melted.
- Serve warm.
- Instant Pot
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Bring the restaurant to your own kitchen!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!