Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake makes the perfect side dish! The homemade cheese sauce is delicious.
If your family loves potatoes as much as mine does, try these:
- Cheesy Hashbrown Potato Casserole (Funeral Potatoes)
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes
Ingredients needed for Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake:
- russet potatoes
- plain Greek yogurt
- shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- chives – optional garnish
How To Make Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake:
- Pick your potatoes.
For this recipe, I used just regular russet potatoes. However, you could use some sweet potatoes, red potatoes, potato fingerlings, etc.
To prepare them, I rinsed and peeled them with my potato peeler. You don’t have to peel them, but I don’t love the texture of the skin.
- Place them in prepared pan.
I sprayed my pan with non stick cooking spray, then laid them out.
I also cut my potatoes pretty thin so they would cook faster and each potato slice would have more cheese on it.
- Make the sauce.
This sauce is super easy to make.
It’s a very light sauce, and all you have to do is melt it together in the pan.
I continually stirred it with a whisk to be sure it was the desired texture, and didn’t lump up, or burn.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes.
Next I poured the sauce over the potatoes and added some salt and pepper. You can also add a little extra cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top, if desired.
- Bake and Serve.
Throw it in the oven and bake it for about 20-25 minutes (more or less depending on how thick you cut your potatoes) at 350 degrees.
After it came out of the oven I topped it with some dried chives, and it was delicious.
We also recommend eating immediately. This is best served warm and fresh out of the oven.
Related Recipe: We’ve got you covered with the perfect side dish. This Slow Cooker Creamed Corn Recipe is absolutely delicious and so easy to make.
Looking for more delicious potato recipes?
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Bacon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Roasted Baby Potatoes
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Cheesy Bacon Potatoes
What to serve with Au Gratin Cheesy Potatoes:
- Slow Cooker Maple Glazed Ham
- Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
- Green Bean Casserole
- Easy Oven Baked BBQ Ribs
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pork Roast
Au Gratin Cheesy Potato Bake
- 4 russet potatoes
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- ½ cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon chives dried or fresh – optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash and peel your russet potatoes and cut them into thin slices.
- Lay them in a 9 x 9 inch baking pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare the sauce by combining plain Greek yogurt, butter, 2 cups cheddar cheese, and milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir continually until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes, and garnish with salt, pepper, and extra cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for 25-35 minutes (more or less, depending on thickness of the potatoes) or until the potatoes are soft .
- Remove from oven and garnish with dried chives, if desired.
- For this recipe, I used just regular russet potatoes. However, you could use sweet potatoes, red potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or potato fingerlings – any thing would work.
- This is a great Thanksgiving side dish!
- Try to cut all the potatoes the same width so that they cook evenly. The thinner you slice the potatoes, the less time it will take to cook. Start checking the potatoes after 25 minutes of cooking to see if they are done.
- 9×9-inch baking pan
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes your family is going to love – like this recipe!
Check out our new cookbook!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!