I have always been a huge fan of potatoes. I love them in chip form, fries, baked, mashed, you name it, I love it.
I especially love when they are smothered in all the good stuff, with cheese and bacon.
One morning, I was cooking some red potatoes for breakfast, and decided to season them up a bit, and add some of my favorite potato toppings.
That’s how these amazing and delicious Cheesy Bacon Potatoes were born. They were so easy to throw together, and my husband loved them.
They are perfect for breakfast, or as a side dish. My hubby loves when we have steak night and I make these potatoes.
He likes his meals hearty.
Related Recipe: These make-ahead mashed potatoes are creamy and delicious! a great side dish for any meal.
If you serve them for breakfast, they will serve about 4-6. However, if you serve them as a side dish, they will serve about 8.
Could I use any potato for this recipe?
For this recipe, I have only made it using red potatoes. However, you could easily use really any potatoes. You could use russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, or any potatoes you have on hand.
I do recommend using the red potatoes, because I feel they cook a little faster, and have a little bit more flavor to them.
However, really any potato will work for this recipe.
Do I combine all the ingredients in a bowl, or in the pan?
I am all about less dishes and shortcuts. I usually combine all the ingredients in the pan, so it’s one less dish to wash, but you could use a bowl to combine it all, so it is less messy.
I did take a paper towel around the edges of the pan, just to avoid burning the cheese or sauce.
If you are looking to make this dish a little more healthy, you could replace the bacon with a turkey bacon, or even a turkey sausage.
This is delicious with any breakfast meat. I prefer the good hearty bacon, but it would be delicious with any meat.
Watch how to make another delicious potato bake recipe, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
We love simple sweet potato fries, and the best part is, they are healthy too. Watch how to make a simple sweet potato fry recipe, here:
Looking for more side dish recipes? here are a few of our favorites:
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Cauliflower
- Citrus Berry Salad
- Cheesy Zucchini and Squash Bake
- Hawaiian Luau Fried Rice
- Easy Yogurt and Fruit Salad
Cheesy Bacon Potatoes Recipe
- 6 red potatoes (washed and chopped into bite size pieces)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ onion chopped
- ⅔ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ (1 ounce) packet ranch dressing mix
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- ⅔ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9 x 9 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Toss the chopped red potatoes in olive oil. Let them soak in the olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Place them in the pan, mix in the onion pieces, and stir in the plain Greek yogurt.
- Sprinkle the potatoes with ranch dressing mix, pepper, and garlic salt, and stir them around, so they are all coated in the seasonings.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add your cooked bacon pieces and cheese.
- Place it back in the oven, uncovered for another 15-20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted, and the potatoes are soft and getting golden.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with fresh green onions.