This BBQ chicken and potato casserole is sure to be a new favorite family recipe. It is so delicious and a super easy chicken casserole to make.
Our kids love this recipe so it has become a go to week night easy family dinner recipe. Plus I think it might even be better as leftovers.
While you don’t alway have to have sides for a casserole, you can pair this BBQ chicken recipe with our Instant Pot green beans, ranch pasta salad, and 5 minute fluffy yogurt fruit salad and you will have an amazing line up for dinner.
Ingredients Needed For This BBQ Chicken and Potato Casserole:
- Instant mashed potatoes (and everything to make it)
- Sour cream
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded chicken
- BBQ sauce
- Green onions
- Cooked bacon strips
How To Make This BBQ Chicken and Potato Casserole:
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Then using a 9×9, prepare it by spraying it with nonstick cooking spray.
While you are waiting for the oven to preheat, make up your instant mashed potatoes according to the package.
Once the potatoes are done, stir in the sour cream and 1 cup of shredded cheese and stir it all together until it is competely blended together.
When that is set, pour the mashed potato mixture into the prepared baking dish and spread it out.
Then in a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, and ¼ cup of the green onions, mixing it all together.
Carefully spoon the chicken mixture over top of the mashed potato layer and spread it as well as you can.
Now, top the chicken layer off with the remaining shredded cheese and then place the baking dish in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges have become bubbly.
Once the casserole is done baking, pull it out of the oven and top it off with the other ¼ cup of green onions as a garnish and serve it warm.
To Make This BBQ Chicken Recipe You Will Need:
- 9×9 baking dish (THIS is a great one!)
- Small pan
Make it All Homemade
With this recipe we use a package of instant mashed potatoes, but if you are not a fan of instant mashed potatoes you can always switch them out for homemade ones!
Use your own recipe, or this great homemade mashed potato recipe from Delish and you will have a great replacement for the instant mashed potatoes in our chicken dinner casserole.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our most popular cookbook – Dinner Made Easy – is all about quick, easy, and delicious family dinner entrees. We did all the organization, all the taste-testing with picky kids, and all the hacks to cut the prep time so that you can focus on spending more time with your family.
The complete family meal game plan in this cookbook is arranged in seven popular categories:
- 30 Minutes or Less
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- Pantry Essentials
- Slow Cooker
- Freezer Meals
- One Pan, One Pot
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
DINNER MADE EASY with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
More Amazing Chicken Casseroles You Need to Make:
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Ritz Cracker Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Texas Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Creamy Buffalo Chicken Casserole
- Slow Cooker Chicken and Loaded Potato Casserole
BBQ Chicken and Potato Casserole Recipe
- 4 ounces instant mashed potatoes* 1 package
- Ingredients called for on instant mashed potatoes package (usually water)
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (about 1 lb, rotisserie chicken works great)
- 12 ounces BBQ Sauce 1 bottle
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray 9×9 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Prepare instant mashed potatoes as directed on package.
- Stir in sour cream and 1 cup of the cheese until completely blended.
- Spoon mixture into baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together chicken, BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup of the green onions. Spoon chicken mixture over potatoes; top with bacon and remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are bubbly.
- Top with remaining 1/4 cup green onions as garnish and serve.
- You can also use homemade mashed potatoes – you will need about 2-3 cups.
- 9×9-inch baking pan
- small pan
Recipe source: Betty Crocker
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.