Whether you’re serving this soup as an appetizer or as the main dish, our White Cheddar Corn Chowder is thick, cheesy, and filling.
We added in green chiles, fire-roasted tomatoes, and cumin to take the Tex-Mex flavor to the next level. Added to the creamed corn and sharp white cheddar, it’s a flavor combination dreams are made of.
We serve ours with tortilla chips and fresh chopped cilantro to make the chowder feel like it’s a whole meal.
How to make this corn chowder
In a large sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
Add chicken broth and cumin, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for about 5 minutes.
Stir in the chicken, half-and-half, cheese, corn, chiles, and tomatoes. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is melted.
Top with cilantro and tortilla chips. Serve warm.
What type of cheese should I use?
Because this recipe is based mostly on the white cheddar, using a quality cheese will up your flavor and texture. You can substitute the white cheddar for another type of cheese, but for the best taste, we would recommend keeping the recipe as is.
You can get sharp white cheddar from the deli section of pretty much any grocery store, but our favorite cheese off the shelves is Tillamook’s Sharp White Cheddar (this isn’t sponsored, it’s just our favorite). It costs less than a lot of the cheeses behind the counter, but the quality and texture is top notch.
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
best way to store the chowder:
Keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
This soup can be frozen. Let it cool completely, then transfer to a freezer-safe container, leaving at least 1/2″ of space from the top to allow for expansion. Store for up to 30 days.
To thaw and reheat, place in refrigerator for 24 hours, then transfer to a stock pot to reheat over medium heat until warmed through. There may be some separation after thawing, but mixing (and using an immersion blender if necessary) will help it come back together.
What to serve with corn chowder
- Easy Homemade Cornbread
- Fresh Green Salad
- Buttermilk Biscuits
- Homemade Bread Bowls
- Homemade French Bread
White Cheddar Corn Chowder Recipe
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and cubed)
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded white sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (14.75 ounce) can cream-style corn (undrained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles (undrained)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire-roasted tomatoes (drained)
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro (chopped)
- 2 cups tortilla chips (or strips)
- In a large sauce pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and saute until soft. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add chicken broth and cumin, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover, simmering for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, half-and-half, cheese, corn, chiles, and tomatoes. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until cheese is melted.
- Top with cilantro and tortilla chips. Serve warm.
Recipe slightly adapted from All Recipes