If your family is anything like ours, and you are constantly eating soup during these winter months, then this homemade bread bowls recipe will be perfect for you!
I’ve always loved getting soup at places like Panera where you can get the bread bowl, but now I have the best homemade bread bowls recipe! No need to leave the house on these cold winter days to get my fancy bread bowls.
Plus my kids think it is so cool that this homemade bread recipe can be formed into a ball and used as a bowl. They also like to help make the bowls, making this a great family recipe!
Keep dinner budget-friendly by pairing this bread bowl with our Slow Cooker 3 Cheese Broccoli Soup Recipe, Seven Can Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe, or the best Instant Pot chicken Noodle Soup Recipe. You’ll be feeling like you’re in Panera Bread in no time!
Ingredients Needed For Our Homemade Bread Bowls Recipe:
- Active dry yeast
- Granulated sugar
- All-purpose flour
How To Make Our Homemade Bread Bowls Recipe:
To begin, get out your stand mixer and pour in the warm water and mix in the active dry yeast.
Let that dissolve for about 5-7 minutes, until the mixture begins to get foamy.
Then, add in the melted butter, granulated sugar, and the salt and mix it all together.
Now, add in part of the flour and turn on the stand mixer.
Continue adding the flour a little bit at a time until all of the flour has been added.
Once everything has been combined, allow the mixer to knead the dough for 5 minutes (or knead it by hand if you prefer!)
After it has been kneaded, punch down the dough and form the dough into 6 equal sized balls.
Then, place the balls on a greased cookie sheet pan and let them rise until they have doubled in size. (This normally takes about 45 minutes to an hour.)
While you are waiting for the dough to rise, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Once the dough has risen, place them into the preheated oven and bake them for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
Let the bread cool down, then cut the top off with a serrated knife, scoop out some of the inside and pour your soup in!
PRO TIP: Keep the inside since it is perfect to dip in your soup!
To Make These Homemade Bread Bowls You Will Need:
- Stand Mixer (THIS is a great mixer!)
- Cookie sheet pan
- Serrated knife
- Nonstick cooking spray/parchment paper
Related Recipe: Make 6 Loaves of Bread in 1 Hour!
Key to Success
Bread is super easy to make as long as you follow the directions to the “T”. There is a surprising amount of science that goes into baking. With bread, the temperature of the water is important.
If your temperature is too hot it can kill the yeast and stop the bread from rising. To find out more take a look at Bob’s Red Mill’s article on What Temperature Kills Yeast.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
More Soup Recipes to Try:
- Instant Pot Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
- Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
- Turkey Sausage Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Cheesy Southwest Soup Recipe
- Black Bean Taco Soup Recipe (Freezer Meal)
Homemade Bread Bowls Recipe
- 2¼ cups warm water
- 11 teaspoons active dry yeast 2 (5½ teaspoon packages)
- ½ cup butter 1 stick (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 6½ cups all-purpose flour
- Using a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, add warm water and sprinkle in yeast. Let dissolve for a few minutes until yeast becomes foamy.
- Add melted butter, sugar and salt and mix until combined.
- Gradually add flour.
- Once combined, allow your mixer to knead the dough for about 5 minutes (you could do this by hand if you weren’t using a mixer, but it may get a little tiring!).
- Punch dough down and form into 6 equal sized balls.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and let rise until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let cool and cut off the top, remove some of the bread from the inside and fill with soup or dip.
- PRO TIP: Keep the inside of your bread bowl since it is perfect to dip in your soup!
- Stand Mixer
- Cookie Sheet Pan
- Serrated Knife
- Non-stick Cooking Spray / Parchment Paper
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.