Our easy Buttermilk Biscuits are completely made from scratch. No store bought mix used for these buttermilk biscuits.
You can make them from start to finish, and ready to serve in about 15 minutes. That’s amazing that you can have it on the table that fast.
We love an easy biscuit recipe and our Easy Buttermilk Biscuits will not disappoint.
the secret to perfect buttermilk biscuits
- Try to use the fresh ingredients when making our easy buttermilk biscuits. You don’t want any of your ingredients to be expired, especially the baking soda and cream of tartar. We make sure our all-purpose flour is fresh
- You may be surprised to see sugar as one of the ingredients. That gives these easy biscuits the perfect hint of sweetness. (Before you add the jam!)
- The biggest secret for the perfect easy buttermilk biscuit is very COLD butter. Don’t let it sit on the counter while you mix the other ingredients. You’ll want it very cold, or should we say slightly thawed from the freezer.
- We diced the butter into very small cubes and then placed them in the freezer until ready to use. Then use a pastry blender to break it up in the other dry ingredients.
- These cold pea sized chunks of butter in your easy biscuit batter will melt when baking and create little pockets of steam. This gives your biscuits that light and flaky texture.
- Be sure not to overwork your biscuit dough. Just work it gently for the best results.
- When cutting out your biscuits, push straight down and pull the cutter straight up. No twisting or turning. They will raise higher if you don’t twist and turn the cutter.
how to make easy buttermilk biscuits
You’ll be amazed at the few ingredients needed for an easy buttermilk biscuits. And no need to slave away in the kitchen for hours. These beauties are ready in under 20 minutes.
Here are the ingredients needs for these easy biscuits.
- Pre heat oven to 450 degrees. You can line a baking dish with parchment paper or a baking mat. We used a glass pan and the biscuits did not stick.
- Cut the butter into very small chunks.
- After cutting the butter, place in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes until ready to use. You’ll want to keep your butter very cold for the perfect biscuit.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the sugar, flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Add the butter into this flour mixture. Using a pastry cutter cut the butter into the flour mixture until you have pea sized pieces of butter through your biscuit dough.
- Then add in the buttermilk and egg. Work it into the mixture just until barely blended. It will be sticky.
- Place the dough on a floured surface. We have found that the kitchen counter works best.
- Knead the dough about 5 to 10 times. Add a small amount of flour if the dough is too sticky. But don’t overdo it.
- Pat the dough into a rectangle about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thick and fold it into thirds.
- Then gently roll into a rectangle again, and then fold into thirds. Repeat that process a third time. This gives the biscuits lots of light and fluffy layers.
- Then roll the dough out to about 1/2 – 3/4 inch thickness. Cut the biscuits using your biscuit cutter. We used a 3 inch diameter cutter. Push straight down and then lift straight up. (do not twist the cutter or your biscuits may not rise as much) Place on baking sheet.
- Try to piece the extra dough together to get more biscuits. Be sure it’s the right thickness. These biscuits will taste just as good, but won’t look as pretty. Try to cut as many as you can from that first time you rolled out your dough to cut the biscuits.
- If you use a smaller biscuit cutter, you will yield more biscuits.
- Gently brush the top of each biscuit with extra buttermilk. We dipped the basting brush into the empty buttermilk carton and got enough to spread over each uncooked biscuit.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and baste with 1 Tablespoon melted butter.
- Serve with butter and jam.
helpful items used in making easy buttermilk biscuits
- Biscuit Cutter – We love this 4 piece set. Make your biscuits in a size that works best for you. Also great for sugar cookies.
- Pastry Blender/Cutter – Our favorite pastry blender that is also dishwasher safe.
- Pastry Brush – A 3 piece set that is heat resistant.
- Baking Sheet – These 2 piece baking sheets are great for biscuits, pan recipes, and cookies.
- Mixing Bowl Set – You’ll love this 6 piece set with airtight lids.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert, and everything in-between.
WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE THESE RECIPES WITH YOU. ORDER YOUR COPY TODAY!
SIX SISTERS’ STUFF COPYCAT COOKING <—– CLICK HERE TO ORDER!
check out these delicious recipes using biscuits
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Instant Pot Biscuits and Gravy
- Sausage Gravy and Biscuits
- Cheesy Pull Apart Biscuits
- Easy Biscuit Chicken Pot Pie
Have you seen our YouTube channel?