This is one of my favorite recipes because it’s so versatile. I use this recipe as filling in burritos and enchiladas, as a topping to nachos, or wrapped up in a lettuce wrap. It’s full of flavor and easy to throw together in no time at all.
Plus this recipe also makes A LOT so you can feed a decent size group of people without having to double the recipe. And it serves as a great base, so your family members can make up their burrito bowls as they like them.
I like to make a little burrito bar when we have these. It makes it fun for the kids (maybe a little messy for me later) and makes them more invested in eating the dinner they “made”. If you have picky eaters like me, the fact they will eat it is a win in itself!
Since chicken is normally easy to cook up and no one complains that they don’t like it, we have a lot of chicken! With some of my favorite recipes being our Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings in an Air Fryer (I feel like I’m eating unhealthy, but it’s okay it’s in the air fryer), Tangy Chicken Fajitas recipe, and of course everyone’s favorite, Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos.
Related Article: My grill loving husband gave these Instant Pot Bone-In Ribs FIVE stars!
What will you need to make up these Instant Pot burrito bowls with frozen chicken?
Here are the ingredients for the Instant Pot family dinner:
- Chicken breasts
- Brown rice
- Black beans
- Diced tomatoes
- Minced garlic
- Onion powder
- Chili powder
- Chicken broth
- Romaine lettuce
- Cheddar cheese
- Salsa or pico de gallo
If you don’t happen to have brown rice or do not like brown rice, feel free to substitute it with your favorite kind of rice or what you have on hand.
You could also make up your own fresh guacamole with this handy packet of seasonings! All you would need to add are the avocados! It would make for a great topping as well.
What else will you need to make this easy Instant Pot family chicken recipe?
- Instant Pot (I like THIS one)
- Forks, Hand mixer, or stand mixer (this is optional) to shred the chicken
How to make Instant Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl with brown rice:
Start by adding in the frozen chicken, uncooked brown rice, black beans, can of diced tomatoes, minced garlic, cumin, onion powder, chili powder, and the chicken broth.
Mix it up a bit, and then put the lid on and turn it to the locked position. Make sure to turn the knob to the part that says “SEALING”.
Then, press the “MANUAL” or “PRESSURE COOK” button and then set the timer for 25 minutes.
After the timer goes off you are going to release the pressure by turning the knob from “SEALING” to “VENTING” and let the pressure fully release from the Instant Pot.
Once all of the pressure has escaped, the pin will drop down and it will be safe to open the lid.
Now that the pressure is gone, take the lid off and remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and shred it.
After the chicken has all been shredded, add it back into the Instant Pot and stir it up to combine it with all of the other ingredients.
Then place the chopped romaine lettuce in your bowl, then add on top the bean, rice, and chicken mixture. All that is left is to sprinkle on the cheese and salsa, and avocado if you please.
- If you are not sure of the best way to shred the chicken, check out THIS page as it will give you different options on how to shred it.
- I used frozen chicken in this recipe. If you use thawed chicken, just decrease the cooking time to 20 minutes. You just want to be sure that your rice has adequate time to cook.
How to turn this into a freezer meal:
Place all ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag. Place freezer bag into freezer and it will last up to 90 days.
When ready to use, dump ingredients from bag into Instant Pot and add 1/2 cup of water in with the frozen food. Place the lid on top, move the valve to SEALING, and press the MANUAL button.
Set timer for 30 minutes. Do a 5 minute NATURAL RELEASE when the timer is done.
Follow the rest of the instructions as written.
Perfect dinner recipe for families!
Hey! Did you know we have a YouTube Channel where we share all sorts of amazing recipes that you can watch us make from start to finish? I know, it sounds awesome, and it is!
If you like this chicken burrito recipe, you are going to LOVE this 4 Ingredient Instant Pot Chicken Tacos recipe! It is so simple. You just dump everything in and let the Instant Pot do its magic.
Family-Favorite Chicken Recipes:
- HONEY LIME CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE
- CHICKEN BROCCOLI BACON BAKE
- CHICKEN AVOCADO SALAD
- MAPLE MOUNTAIN DEW GRILLED CHICKEN
- ONE PAN BAKED FAJITAS
- CHICKEN BURRITO BOWLS
Instant Pot Healthy Chicken Burrito Bowls Recipe
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts frozen
- ½ cup brown rice uncooked
- ½ can black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons cumin
- 1 Tablespoon onion powder
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- romaine lettuce
- shredded cheddar cheese
- avocado Diced
- salsa or pico de gallo
- Combine all the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Lock the lid into place and turn the knob to SEALING.
- Push MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and cook for 25 minutes. When done release by turning the pressure valve to VENTING.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken to shred.
- Add the chicken back into the Instant Pot and stir well.
- Place the romaine lettuce in your bowl. Top beans, rice, and shredded chicken. Sprinkle with cheese, salsa, and avocado if you'd like!
- Instant Pot
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.