I have been making easy Instant Pot recipes for years now, and I’ve slowly been making my normal recipes inside of the Instant Pot with trial and error.
When making this recipe, be sure to add your cornstarch AFTER your chicken as already cooked. Don’t pressurize the cornstarch because it will kill your recipe!
After I mastered Mongolian Beef I thought I would give this Orange Chicken a try!
WHAT IS AN INSTANT POT?
Haven’t jumped on the Instant Pot bandwagon yet? Well, you may want to consider it just for this recipe alone!
Instant Pot is a seven-in-one multi-cooker that works as an electric pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, steamer, warmer, and sauté pan all in one.
Sounds a little too good to be true, but we promise it’s worth every penny! I haven’t used my slow cooker in weeks, which is saying a lot for this 3-4 times a week slow cooking girl!
Check out the reviews on the Instant Pot on Amazon and join the 1000’s of people who LOVE it! You can read about it HERE.
One of our favorite Instant Pot recipes is our Creamy Chicken Soup – our readers give it rave reviews!
HOW TO MAKE ORANGE CHICKEN IN THE PRESSURE COOKER
1. Put 4 chicken breasts on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
2. Mix the BBQ sauce, water and soy sauce on top of your chicken.
3. Cook the Chicken. Put lid on Instant Pot and turn vent knob to the sealed position. Hit manual and then adjust the cook time by using the plus or minus buttons to 20 minutes. After cook time is done do a quick release.
4. Finish your orange sauce. Turn Instant Pot to saute. Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch with 1/4 cup of the liquid from your instant pot. Add cornstarch slurry, Orange Maramalade and orange juice to the Instant Pot and stir for 2-3 minutes.
5. This Orange Chicken is great served over steamed rice or with cauliflower rice.
Can you make orange chicken with frozen chicken?
Yes, you can absolutely make Orange Chicken with frozen chicken. However, you will need to keep a few things in mind.
- Instead of cutting up your chicken, you just add the ingredients for the sauce along with the frozen whole chicken breasts.
- Increase cook time from 7 minutes to 22 minutes.
- Once the cook time has elapsed, Do a quick release and remove chicken breasts to cutting board and cut into large chunks or shred chicken.
- Turn Instant Pot back to saute. Make a the cornstarch slurry. Add cornstarch slurry to pressure cooker and stir and boil for 2-3 minutes. Mix the chicken into the sauce and serve.
Turn this into a freezer meal:
- Place chicken, BBQ sauce, orange juice, and soy sauce into a gallon-sized freezer bag. Place freezer bag into freezer and it will last up to 90 days.
- When ready to use, dump ingredients from bag into Instant Pot and add 1/2 cup of water in with the frozen food. Place the lid on top, move the valve to SEALING, and press the MANUAL button. Set timer for 25 minutes. Do a 5 minute NATURAL RELEASE when the timer is done. Follow the rest of the instructions as written.
Related recipe: This Instant Pot Sesame Chicken tastes better than take out and is so easy to make! Get the recipe HERE!
Need some help making this in the Instant Pot? Watch exactly how I make it HERE:
Sometimes the Instant Pot can be intimidating. Every Monday I share a new Instant Pot Recipe on our Youtube channel so you can actually watch how each recipe is made.
Watch how to make Orange Chicken on our YouTube Channel!
OUR NEWEST COOKBOOK:
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
More Instant Pot recipes you will love!
- Instant Pot BBQ Country Ribs
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot Pork Chile Verde
- Instant Pot Easy Sesame Chicken and Rice
- Instant Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
Instant Pot Orange Chicken Recipe
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- ⅔ cup orange marmalade
- Combine chicken, BBQ sauce, water and soy sauce in the pot and stir to combine.
- Secure the lid, making sure the vent is closed.
- Push MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and set the timer for 20 minutes (25 if frozen).
- When the time is up, quick-release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the pot to a cutting board and cut into bite-sized chunks.
- Remove 1/4 cup of cooking liquid and mix with cornstarch.
- Stir cornstarch slurry, chicken, orange juice and orange marmalade into the pot for 5-6 minutes until sauce has thickened, returning to SAUTE mode as needed.
- Serve over cooked rice and garnish with sesame seeds or green onions
- Instant Pot