Our Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe is a wonderful oven-baked chicken recipe for when you aren’t in the mood for standing over the stove-top.
You can make best best chicken cordon bleu recipe with our easy step and enjoy a fantastic week or weekend dinner.
If you want to know what to serve with our chicken cordon bleu recipe with sauce, then I would suggest serving it with either our Mom’s Easy Potato Salad Recipe, Garlic Roasted Potatoes Recipe, or even our Slow Cooker Creamed Corn Recipe. They all work great as sides to this Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe.
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Swiss cheese
- Slices cooked ham
- Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg (beaten)
- All-purpose flour
- Half and half (you could also use milk)
- Dijon mustard
- Garlic powder
- Worcestershire sauce
- Fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
How To Make Our Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe:
Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F.
Then, spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Once that is set, pound chicken breasts until they are about to 1/4 inch in thickness.
Next, sprinkle each side of chicken with salt and pepper to your liking.
After the chicken has been seasoned, place one slice of cheese and one slice of ham on top of each chicken breast.
Roll up each chicken breast with the cheese and ham inside, and secure with a toothpick.
Next, dip rolled up chicken in the egg wash (the beaten egg), roll in breadcrumbs, and then place the chicken in the prepared baking dish.
Place the baking dish in the oven an bake the chicken rolls for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Carefully remove the pan from the oven and take the toothpicks our of the chicken and serve.
Optional Creamy Dijon Sauce:
We love to dip it in this creamy Dijon sauce, but sometimes we even use store-bought Honey Mustard sauce and that is also delicious.
To make the dijon sauce, place a saucepan over medium heat on the stove-top and add in the butter and let it melt.
Once the butter is melted, whisk in the flour and whisk it constantly for 1-2 minutes.
Now, carefully pour in the half and half (or milk), whisking the entire time.
Next, add in the mustard, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce while whisking and beat until smooth and until sauce starts to thicken up (this will take about 3-4 minutes).
Remove the sauce from the heat, and stir in the cheese, continuing to beat it all together until the sauce is smooth and cheese is melted.
Then add salt and pepper as needed, then pour sauce over Chicken Cordon Bleu to serve.
To Make The Best Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe You Will Need:
- 9×13 inch baking dish
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Meat tenderizer (one like THIS will work great)
- Plastic bag (optional to reduce mess)
- Medium saucepan
Make the chicken thin without the mess!
When you make this recipe you have to pound and flatten the chicken breast to make it easier to roll up. And in the end you will most likely splatter raw chicken everywhere which is gross.
Insert these great options – you can either buy thin cut breasts and do it that way (you’ll just want to make sure they are big enough to roll), OR you can put the chicken in a plastic bag and pound the chicken with the flat side of the meat tenderizer.
What is Cordon Bleu sauce made of?
Cordon Bleu sauce is made from a butter, garlic, flour, and milk base. Which is then seasoned with Dijon mustard, salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese, and more!
What is the Bleu in Chicken Cordon Bleu?
The term Cordon Bleu translates to “blue ribbon” in French. And apparently the blue ribbon associated with the French Knights. The blue ribbon was given as acknowledgement for the highest order of Knighthood.
You can read even more about the history of chicken cordon bleu from Julee Ho Media.
How do you know when Chicken Cordon Bleu is done?
The cheese should be nicely melted and the breading slightly browned. You can also use a meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the chicken.
Chicken should always reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees for safe consumption.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
All the Wonderful Flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu in New and Fresh Ways:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu and Potatoes Casserole Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Crescents Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Lasagna Recipe
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Grilled Sandwich Recipe
Easy and Delicious Side Dishes:
- Roasted Parmesan Potatoes Recipe
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Mom’s Cheese Potatoes Recipe
- Apple Cranberry Walnut Green Chopped Salad Recipe
- Honey Roasted Carrots Recipe
- Zucchini Corn Parmesan Bake Recipe
Easy Chicken Cordon Bleu Recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 6 slices cooked ham
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 egg beaten
Creamy Dijon Sauce (optional)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half (could also use milk)
- 3 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup fresh shredded parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Pound chicken breasts to 1/4 inch in thickness.
- Sprinkle each side of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Place one slice of cheese and one slice of ham on top of each chicken breast.
- Roll up each chicken breast and secure with a toothpick.
- Dip rolled chicken in egg wash, roll in breadcrumbs and place in baking dish.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove toothpicks and serve. We love to dip it in this creamy Dijon sauce, but sometimes we even use store-bought Honey Mustard sauce and that is also delicious.
Creamy Dijon Sauce
- Place a saucepan over medium heat on the stove top. Add in the butter and let it melt.
- Whisk in the flour and whisk it constantly for 1-2 minutes. Carefully pour in the half and half (or milk), whisking the entire time. Add in the mustard, garlic powder, and Worcestershire sauce while whisking and beat until smooth and until sauce starts to thicken up (will take 3-4 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in the cheese, and beat until smooth and cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper as needed, then pour sauce over Chicken Cordon Bleu to serve.
- We love to dip it in this creamy Dijon sauce, but sometimes we even use store-bought Honey Mustard sauce and that is also delicious.
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
- Meat Tenderizer
- plastic bag
- Medium Saucepan
Be sure not to miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews
Thanks so much! :)