This delicious Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice comes together in less than an HOUR! This rice recipe and instant pot chicken will bring the whole family together with its simple ingredients and delightful taste. Next time you get caught up on one of the busy weeknights, look no further than this recipe! This rice dish is just as easy as a one-pot meal but made faster.
When it comes to finding a complete meal with a fast cooking time, I am always looking for an easy way to make it happen.
(If you are looking for the slow cooker version of this recipe, you can find it here: Slow Cooker Cheesy Chicken and Rice).
I still use both appliances, but I LOVE my Instant Pot for busy nights and I can throw something together quick and easy. This is the ultimate comfort food for those cool nights! A quick trip to the grocery store, short cook time, and I am ready to serve this flavorful cheesy chicken dinner! The cheesy rice makes for the ultimate comfort food and it’s a delicious meal.
Our sister Kristen is the QUEEN of Instant Pot – she has TONS of recipes on our YouTube channel where she shows you how to make pretty much anything in your Instant Pot (including these 5 soups that are perfect for beginners!).
Related Recipe: Try this Slow Cooker Chicken and Broccoli Over Rice!
Ingredients needed to make Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice:
- Boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- White rice or brown rice
- Chicken broth
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cheddar cheese
- Mixed vegetables
The ingredient list may seem long, but they are mostly likely ingredients that you have on hand right now!
How to make Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice:
To get started, cut up the raw chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
Plug in your Instant Pot and press the “Saute” button to get the bowl inside the Instant Pot heated up. Once the screen on the Instant Pot reads “HOT” pour in the olive oil, and let that sit for about a minute.
Next, add in the cut-up chicken breasts, salt, pepper, diced onion, and minced garlic (fresh is always best but from the jar will work too).
Continue by sauteing everything until the onion becomes translucent and the chicken begins to brown up. It should only take about 5-6 minutes.
Now that the veggies and chicken have been cooking for a few minutes, add in the rice and cook for another minute or two until the rice begins to turn a golden brown.
Hit the “Cancel” button to turn the heat off.
Next, add the chicken broth and water to the browned chicken and vegetables.
If you have the burn notice on your IP, you will want to deglaze your Instant Pot at this time to prevent that from happening.
Place the lid on the Instant Pot (make sure it’s locked) and set the valve to seal. Press the “Manual” button and then set the timer for 8 minutes.
It will come to pressure (this will take 10 minutes or so) and then the timer will appear with the 8 minutes.
Once the timer is done, carefully switch the valve on top of the Instant Pot to “venting” (aka a quick release).
After the pin on the top drops, you are able to open up the Instant pot and add in the cream of chicken soup, shredded cheese, and frozen vegetables.
Mix everything together with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted and the veggies are no longer frozen.
If you need to turn the “saute” function back on to help warm the vegetables up a little more, do it! Just be sure to stir constantly to void burning anything.
And PRESTO it’s done!! See, super simple.
Want to mix this cheesy chicken and rice up?
You can change this recipe up by adding your favorite frozen vegetables or even fresh vegetables! Mix your favorites to make this dish your own.
Some vegetables to try in this recipe would be:
- green beans
- green peppers
If you use fresh vegetables, they might need to cook for a little longer or you could steam them before throwing them in with the chicken and rice mixture to make sure that they are tender.
Related Recipe: Try our One Pot Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole Skillet Recipe!
MORE easy Instant Pot recipes!
We have an amazing YouTube channel where we make our tried and true recipes that everyone loves.
For another great Instant Pot recipe watch this EASY Instant Pot Crack Chicken Recipe video!
What Instant Pot do I use?
It’s basically 6 appliances in 1 – pressure cooker, rice cooker, saute, steamer, cake maker, and warmer.
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Want more delicious Instant Pot recipes?
- Instant Pot Wild Rice Soup
- Instant Pot Cashew Chicken
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Soup
- Instant Pot Shells and Beef
- Instant Pot Chicken Caesar Sandwiches
- Instant Pot Pork Chile Verde
- Instant Pot Chicken Chile Verde
- Instant Pot Butter Chicken
- Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Pasta
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups white rice uncooked
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 10 ½ ounces condensed cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- Cut chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces.
- Press “saute” button on Instant Pot and let pot heat up. Add in olive oil to pot, then add in chicken, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. Saute over heat until onions become translucent and chicken starts to brown (5-6 minutes).
- Add rice and cook for 1-2 minutes more; just until rice starts to turn golden brown.
- Add in chicken broth and water. If you have the burn notice on your IP, you will want to deglaze the bottom of your Instant Pot at this time to prevent that from happening. Place lid on Instant Pot. Press “manual” button and set timer for 8 minutes.
- Once cooking time is complete, switch the valve on top to “venting” (i.e. a quick release).
- Remove lid and add in soup, shredded cheese, and frozen vegetables. Mix everything together until cheese is melted and vegetables are warmed (if you need to turn it on saute to help the vegetables cook, you can do that. Just be sure to stir continuously so that it doesn’t burn).
- If you let the oil heat up in the pot before adding the food, it will help things cook faster.
- Instant Pot (or Pressure Cooker)
- Wooden Spoon