Our Mom’s Sweet Potatoes recipe has been in our family for as long as we can remember. Our grandma would make this every Thanksgiving. Then our mom would make if for all of our family holiday get togethers.
These sweet potatoes are so easy to make and are absolutely amazing. We love the marshmallow topping.
If you aren’t a fan of marshmallows, you could also use pecans, extra brown sugar, ginger snaps, graham crackers, vanilla wafers, walnuts, cinnamon oats, etc.
How to make Mom’s Sweet Potatoes:
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
Step 2: Wash your sweet potatoes and then place in a pot with skins on and boil for about 20-30 minutes until fork tender. Potatoes should be completely covered in water when cooking.
Step 3: Remove from boiling water and set on a plate to cool for about 30 minutes. The skins should be pulling away in areas, and will be easy to peel. Peel of skins when you can handle them.
Step 4: Then slice into 1 inch spears. Lay half of them in the sprayed 9×13 inch pan.
Step 5: Cut up butter into small pieces and spread over the sliced sweet potatoes.
Step 6: Drizzle caro syrup over all of the sweet potatoes. Then sprinkle brown sugar over the top.
Step 7: Repeat the layers. Add sweet potatoes, top with butter, taro syrup, and brown sugar.
Step 8: Cook the sweet potatoes in the oven until heated through and butter is melted. This will be about 30 minutes.
Step 9: Remove from oven and cover the top with marshmallows. Return to oven cook until marshmallows are golden brown.
Make this recipe ahead of time:
Thanksgiving can be crazy, but luckily, this is a dish that can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Don’t cook until you are about ready to eat.
It’s best to eat this recipe soon after taking it out of the oven. We usually make the sweet potatoes the night before, then the afternoon of thanksgiving, we cook it right before we eat. Cook until heated through and then add marshmallows.
We recommend not adding the marshmallows until after it is cooked a little, to avoid burning. If you store them overnight, they will get soggy with all the gooey goodness in the pan.
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel?
We have hundreds of delicious step by step recipes on our channel. They are delicious, tried and true recipes your family is going to love.
Looking for more side dishes? Here are 60 of our favorite Christmas Dinner Sides to eat with Beef Tenderloin!
Looking for more sweet potato recipes?
- Loaded Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Mom’s Sweet Potato Casserole
- Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Roasted Parmesan Sweet Potatoes
Mom’s Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 4 pounds yellow sweet potatoes (about 5 to 6)
- 3 Tablespoons butter divided
- ¼ cup karo syrup divided
- ½ cup brown sugar divided
- 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil sweet potatoes for about 20-30 minutes until fork tender. Let cool.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
- After the sweet potatoes are cool, peel of skins and slice into 1 inch spears. Lay half of them in the pan.
- Cut up 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces and spread all over the sliced sweet potatoes.
- Then drizzle 1/8 cup of karo syrup over all of the sweet potatoes. Then sprinkle 1/4 cup of brown sugar over the top.
- Repeat layers – add more sweet potatoes, then top with the rest of the butter, karo syrup, and brown sugar.
- Cook in oven until heated through and butter is melted. About 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cover the top with marshmallows. Return to oven cook until marshmallows are golden brown.
- (This can also be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Cook until heated through and then add marshmallows.)
- large pot
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
This post was included in our Make Ahead Thanksgiving Side Dishes video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
Be sure to not miss another recipe! Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Questions & Reviews