Join us on Facebook for our latest recipes and projects. My little boy loves macaroni and cheese.
I decided to make a healthier version at home and we all thought it was way better than any box of mac n’ cheese.
The broccoli tastes absolutely amazing in this. Want to know why? Because you can’t even taste it. That is the best way, in my opinion to eat broccoli.
The less veggies you taste, the more delicious it is. This is still a hearty dish, but definitely a lot healthier version of it. It’s so easy to whip up, and kids and adults alike, love it.
- The melted Parmesan and golden bread crumbs on top were so good. You could also used crushed up crackers (I prefer buttery crackers, like a Ritz or Club cracker).
- You could also use whole wheat bread crumbs, as a healthier alternative as well. I have only made this using Italian bread crumbs.
- You could also go without bread crumbs as well. I like the crispiness and the texture it gives the mac and cheese, but again, it is totally optional.
sneak in more veggies:
The thing i love about this recipe, is how easy it is to add more veggies to it, and sneak them in. I recommend the broccoli, but if you are looking to add more greens to the mix, here are a few vegetables that would be delicious, that I highly recommend:
- zucchini squash
- yellow squash
Really any veggie would work great with this recipe. If you chop it up small enough, nobody will ever know what it is, and it will all be smothered in cheese, that they won’t even care.
watch how to make another easy dinner favorite, here:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love. We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make them.
These Easy Chicken Salad Sandwiches make the perfect lunch, dinner or snack. They are so quick to throw together and taste amazing. Watch how simple they are to make, here:
looking for more pasta recipes? here are a few of our favorite:
Skinny Baked Broccoli Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- 12 ounces high fiber elbows like Ronzoni Smart Taste
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 Tablespoon lite butter
- ¼ cup flour
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 cup fat free chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- ⅛ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- cooking spray
- Cook pasta and broccoli together in a large pot of salted water, according to package directions for al dente (or slightly under cook 2 minutes). Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large, heavy skillet, melt butters. Add onion and cook over low heat about 2 minutes, add flour and cook another minute, or until the flour is golden and well combined. Add milk and chicken broth and whisk, raising heat to medium-high until it comes to a boil; cook about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes smooth and thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is thick, remove from heat, add cheese and mix well until cheese is melted. Adjust salt and pepper to taste, add cooked macaroni and broccoli and mix well. Pour into prepared baking dish. Top with grated cheese and breadcrumbs. Spray a little more cooking spray on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then broil for a few minutes to get the breadcrumbs golden.
(Recipe from skinnytaste.com)
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!