Side dishes have never been my forte! They are always the last thing I think about when I am preparing a meal. I had a big bag of red potatoes I needed to use in my pantry and whipped these smashed potatoes up in a matter of minutes. They were my favorite part of our dinner!
Smashed Italian Red Potatoes Recipe
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- ¾ cup water
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Scrub and rinse potatoes and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Pour 3/4 cup water into the baking sheet and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are soft on the inside.
- Carefully remove foil. Remove potatoes from pan and set aside on another baking sheet to cool.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Add garlic and saute for a minute, or until it turns golden brown.
- Remove from heat and add Italian seasoning.
- Using the bottom of a drinking glass, smash each potato flat.
- Drizzle oil over the top of potatoes.
- Drizzle butter mixture over potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Return potatoes, uncovered, to oven for 5 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
- Rimmed Baking Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- Drinking Glass