Monterey chicken was born out of the need to create something different for dinner, but still use chicken and have a budget-friendly recipe. Not to mention that the flavor is amazing.
I love that this easy chicken recipe can be made in about 30 minutes, add a side or two and you have a fantastic meal. My kids especially love it because it is filled with cheese and bacon.
This has become a popular dinner recipe in our house, so it is found on the dinner menu at least twice a month if not more.
Some great sides to pair with this Monterey chicken dinner recipe is our Instant Pot green beans, some homemade rolls, and a fresh apple cranberry walnut green chopped salad!
Ingredients You’ll Need For Our Monterey Chicken Recipe:
- Boneless chicken breasts
- Barbecue sauce
- Cooked bacon
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
How To Make Our Monterey Chicken Recipe:
Begin by pounding the boneless chicken breast until they are nice and flat.
Then season them generously with salt and pepper on the front and back.
Once that is done, cook the chicken on a grill over medium hight heat for about 6-7 minutes each side or until the chicken is fully cooked and is at least 165 degrees fahrenheit.
If you do not intend on using a grill, simply use a skillet or the awesome Ninja Foodi grill and spray it down with nonstick cooking spray and cook it the same.
Once the chicken is done cooking transfer the chicken breats to a large baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and preheat the broiler to 500 degrees.
Then spread 2-3 tablespoons of barbecue over each chicken breast.
Now top each piece of chicken with 2 slices of bacon and a handful (about ¼ cup) of shredded Monterey Jack cheese.
Place the pan in the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted or in the microwave until the cheese is melted.
After the cheese has melted, top it with diced tomatoes, and green onions and serve it immediately.
To Make This Popular Dinner Recipe You Will Need:
- Grill or Ninja Foodi (like THIS one)
- Large baking sheet
- Aluminum foil
- Nonstick cooking spray
Best Way to Tenderize Chicken
One of the reasons we like to pound the chicken before we cook on the grill is to minimize the amount of time it takes to cook the chicken. The other reason is becuase it cause the chicken to be wonderfully tender.
There are other techniques to make chicken tender that you can use too! Master Class has a great list of 4 easy steps for tender chicken. They would be great to use when you want to class up an easy recipe!
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Spice Up Dinner with New Tasty Chicken Dinner Recipes
- Instant Pot Creamy Chicken Soup Recipe
- Crispy Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
- Cheddar Baked Chicken Recipe
- Baked Bruschetta Chicken Recipe
Monterey Chicken Recipe
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 10 strips bacon cooked
- 1 ½ cups Monterey Jack Cheese Blend shredded
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 bunch green onions diced
- Pound the chicken breasts so that they flat (this will also help make the chicken very tender). Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook the chicken over an outdoor grill over medium high heat; 6-7 minutes per side or until fully cooked. If you don't have an outdoor grill, you could easily cook it over an indoor grill or in a skillet on the stove top that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- After the chicken is finished cooking, transfer the chicken breasts to a large baking sheet covered in aluminum foil. Spread 2-3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce over each chicken breast. Top each chicken breast with 2 slices of bacon and and a handful of the shredded cheese mix. Place the baking sheet in an oven broiler (or microwave long enough to melt the cheese). Top with diced tomatoes and green onions. Serve immediately.
- Grill or Ninja Foodie
- Large Baking Sheet
- Aluminum Foil
- nonstick cooking spray
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.