Mom’s Cheese Potatoes recipe is one of our most favorite side dishes. We had it for Sunday dinner almost every week when we were growing up.
Now, as a mother myself, I totally understand why we had it so often. Not only is it delicious, it’s extremely easy and very inexpensive to make.
I now follow the pattern of my mother and make this almost every Sunday because it’s a side dish I know I will always have time to throw together, and my kids will love
Ingredients needed to make Mom’s Cheese Potatoes:
- 6 russet potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 (10.5 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
What could I replace the sour cream with?
Plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream. It is the same texture, similar flavors, and works just as great.
The consistency is a little different from sour cream when you cook it.
I feel like the plain Greek yogurt it just a little more thin and liquid when cooked or baked, but all the flavor and creamy texture is there.
We highly recommend switching out the sour cream for plain Greek yogurt if watching fat and calorie intake.
Try our Slow Cooker Bacon Cheese Potatoes!
Could I use any potato for Mom’s Cheese Potatoes?
For this recipe, we recommend using russet potatoes, but you could also try using red potatoes, potato fingerlings, or even sweet potatoes.
We have only tried russet potatoes, and they turn out perfectly, every single time.
Looking for more side dishes? Here are 60 of our favorite Christmas Dinner Sides to eat with Beef Tenderloin!
Watch how to make mashed potatoes in your Instant Pot:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes, your family is going to love.
Did you know you could make Creamy Mashed Potatoes in your Instant Pot? Be sure to check out the video to watch how to make them!
Looking for more quick and delicious side dish recipes?
- Tangy Cucumber Salad
- Spinach Mushroom Orzo
- Mandarin Orange Pretzel Jello Salad
- Roasted Balsamic Carrots
- Instant Pot Lemon Rice Pilaf
- Garlic Roasted Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- Slow Cooker Bacon Cheese Potatoes
Mom’s Cheese Potatoes Recipe
- 6 russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 10.5 ounces cream of chicken soup 1 can
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 Tablespoons butter melted
- 2 Tablespoons chopped onion
- Cut up potatoes into cubes and boil them until they are fork tender.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together soup, sour cream, cheese, butter and onion.
- Place cooked potatoes in a 9 x 9 inch glass pan.
- Pour soup/cheese mix over cooked potatoes and mix in a little bit.
- Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
- We recommend using russet potatoes for this recipe
- For lower calories try using greek yogurt instead of sour cream
- large pot
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- 9×9-inch baking pan
Check out our new cookbook:
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!