Who doesn’t love a big bowl of chili on a cold winter night?
Chili has always been a favorite of ours! Growing up, our mom served slow cooker chili every Halloween! We had to finish our bowl before we could go trick-or-treating. Not a bad incentive on getting your kids to eat their whole meal!
I love that I can throw this into my slow cooker in the morning and have a hot delicious bowl of Slow Cooker Chili when dinner rolls around.
We have a lot of chili recipes on SixSistersStuff. You’ve probably tried our Mom’s Slow Cooker Chili, our White Chicken Chili, or our Best Homemade Chili!
Texas Chili vs Regular Chili
Did you know Texas Chili is not like regular homemade chili? This recipe originated from a friend in Texas, so we’ve always called it Texas Chili! After posting, we were surprised at how controversial the beans or no beans conversation was.
Historically, Texas Chili is typically a chili with beef and a chili sauce base. Most Texas Chili recipes don’t have beans or tomatoes like regular chili.
In this recipe, we just couldn’t live without the beans or the tomatoes, so we’ve included both! If you’re looking for a traditional Texas Chili Recipe without beans or tomatoes, you should definitely check out this Homemade Texas Chili!
What we love most about this recipe
- A thick and delicious soup that fills you up! Anyone else’s husband complain about being hungry after you serve soup for dinner? Not with this recipe!
- I considered naming this Easy Texas Chili because of how quick you can throw it together. It takes a few minutes to brown the beef, but the rest is just dumping ingredients.
- Texas Chili is so easy to adjust! Don’t like it spicy? Leave out some of the chili powder or red pepper flakes. Want it more spicy? Add more! Everyone will love your homemade chili.
Can you Freeze slow cooker chili?
This recipe should serve around 8 people, but don’t worry if you can’t eat the whole thing! Slow Cooker Texas Chili can easily be stored in the freezer and saved for another day.
To freeze this recipe, let the chili cool to a warm temperature (just turn off your slow cooker and leave the lid open for an hour or so!) and pour your extra chili into a large freezer bag.
You may want to double up on bags, just to avoid any leaking in your freezer.
You can keep it in your freezer for up to 30 days and it will taste as fresh as the day you made it!
To reheat, let it thaw in your fridge for 24 hours. Place your soup into the slow cooker and heat on low 2-3 hours until it’s hot and bubbling again.
To make Texas Chili into a freezer meal, just follow the directions in the post below, but place all of the ingredients in the freezer bag and not the slow cooker.
You’ll want to make sure you cook your ground beef before you place it in the freezer. We also recommend labeling your freezer bags with the date, name of the recipe, and cooking instructions so you know exactly what you need to do when you’re ready to eat it.
looking for another simple and delicious chili recipe? Try our Wendy’s Copycat Chili recipe!
Related Article: Make 10 Freezer Meals in Less Than One Hour!
How to make slow cooker texas chili
Let’s get to the recipe! Here’s what you’ll need to make Homemade Texas Chili:
Ingredients for Texas Chili
- 1 pound ground beef —ground turkey works here too!
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chili peppers
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- dash red pepper flakes, optional
In a large saucepan, brown ground beef and diced onion on medium heat. You’ll want to make sure your ground beef is completely cooked through for your slow cooker chili.
Pour your remaining ingredients into the slow cooker and stir until well combined. Be careful! Your slow cooker will be very full at this point.
Place your lid onto your slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 2-3 hours
Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, and a bag of Fritos corn chips – or any of your other favorite toppings.
How to make Homemade Texas Chili in your Instant Pot.
Don’t have enough time to make this in your slow cooker? No worries! You can make Texas Chili in your Instant Pot. Here’s how you’ll do it.
- Preheat your Instant Pot to SAUTÉ.
- Cook ground beef along with your onions until your meat is no longer pink.
- Add other ingredients and stir until combine.
- Replace lid and set your top knob to SEALING.
- Now press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK and cook for 25 minutes, then do a quick release.
Watch us make our moms famous chili!
If you have read our recipes and wondered what it’s like in our kitchen while we make our tried and true recipes, check out our YouTube channel!
We take you step-by-step through the recipe. Watch as we make our Mom’s Slow Cooker Chili!
More of our favorite recipes
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Looking for more soup recipes?
- Easy Homemade Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot LOADED Taco Soup
- Instant Pot Cream Cheese Chili
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- Skinny White Bean Chicken Chili