Brown Sugar and Bacon Green Beans

brown sugar and bacon green beans

If you are coming to this post for a healthy and delicious side dish . . . well, I have the delicious part covered. :)
These green beans are pretty much like candy and I can devour a pound of them in one sitting. The sweet from the brown sugar and the salty from the bacon take these beans over the top! Add a good amount of butter and you have an INCREDIBLE dish!

Since the main ingredient is green beans, these can be considered healthy food, right?! :)
(Moderation in all things . . . a little bacon and brown sugar every now and then won't hurt!)

If all vegetables were prepared this way, I think that it would be my favorite food group!

Brown Sugar and Bacon Green Beans
Ingredients:
1 (16 oz) package frozen green beans
6 pieces bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
garlic salt, to taste

In a large skillet, fry the bacon over medium heat until done (but not quite crisp).
Drain off grease and add butter and brown sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until the brown sugar has dissolved.

Place the green beans in a pot and fill with about 1 inch of water. Bring water to a boil and then place the lid on the pot. Steam the beans over medium heat until cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Drain the water from the beans, season with garlic salt, and stir in the sugar and bacon mixture. Serve immediately.

If the brown sugar mixture starts to go hard, you can quickly reheat it before pouring it over your beans.

Recipe slightly adapted from AllRecipes.

Looking for more veggie dishes?

Slow Cooker Roasted Vegetables
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Honey Roasted CarrotsBroccoli Salad

Our FIRST cookbook is now available for purchase!
You can check it out HERE.

Sixsistersstuffnew5097495_detail

1. Rebekah @ Making Miracles says:

Those look fantastic!! Thank you for sharing – I am going to have to try that one out soon. :)

2. suzyhomemaker says:

I would absolutely say healthy. Use some grass-fed butter and nitrate-free bacon. The great thing is that many vitamins are fat soluble, which means you need fat to absorb them. So having some fat with vegetables is actually better than not!

Ok, so the sugar I cannot justify as healthy, but overall I think this is a pretty good side dish.

3. Laura@live-love-scrap says:

These look so good! We have some green beans that are almost ready in the garden and I can’t wait to try them in this recipe:)

4. Samantha Jo says:

Absolutely going to make these for the boyfriend and I. They look delicious!

Even if you wanted to make it a bit healthier, you could ditch the sugar and just use some turkey bacon.

But really, who would wanna do that?! xP

Thanks so much for the recipe!

5. Jessi @ Practically Functional says:

Yum, I love green beans anyway, and adding brown sugar and bacon sounds like it would be delicious!!! Pinning this!

6. Liz says:

I was looking for something new and different to use up the bumper crop of green beans my dad grew. This was so easy and everyone loved them! These were definitely good enough to make for my Thanksgiving Dinner!

7. Martha says:

I would love to make these but it says serve immediately. I need them to carry to my sisters for Thanksgiving. if I make this early in the day, how good is it reheated?

• Mary says:

Martha,

I made them recently and put them in my pre heated crockpot (put it on keep warm when I started the recipe) and they served great 5 hours later!

8. Angel @ Whimsy Living says:

Love this recipe! I tweaked it a bit by using Jalapeno Bacon from our local grocery store making it a Sweet & Spicy Green Bean dish ;-) It’s really not to spicy at all and pairs well with the brown sugar. Thanks for sharing !

9. Carrie says:

These sound amazing! I would like to make them for thanksgiving lunch tomorrow! How would I prepare them if I am using fresh picked green beans instead of frozen? Thank you so much for sharing!

10. Elizabeth says:

This recipe is my new favorite way to eat green beans! Wow soooo very good! Thank you for sharing all these great recipes, I love your site!