With Thanksgiving around the corner, you will want to add these Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes to your menu!
I love that I can put these in my crock pot in the morning and have an amazing side dish by dinner time.
Ingredients needed for Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes:
- sweet potatoes
- orange juice
- vanilla extract
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- brown sugar
- mini marshmallows
How to make Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes:
Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
Spread chopped sweet potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and brown sugar.
Pour over the top of the sweet potatoes and place lid on the slow cooker.
Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
Once cooked, pour all the contents from your slow cooker into a baking dish.
Top with marshmallows and broil in oven until marshmallows (about 1-2 minutes – watch carefully!) are golden brown.
What is the difference between yams and sweet potatoes?
The deeper copper-colored sweet potatoes are often referred to as yams because they have the soft outside and sweeter skin, like a true yam.
Sweet potatoes, with a lighter skin and inside, have a harder skin. This is how they differentiate the two at grocery stores.
Both the orange and yellow sweet potatoes, are actually sweet potatoes, although label differently at the store.
Either type of potato would work for this recipe.
How do I get the marshmallows to golden?
For this recipe, we popped it into the oven for about 40 seconds, and the marshmallows broiled perfectly.
They broil fast, so be sure to keep an eye on them. If they burn, you can always scrape them off and try again.
You could also use a culinary torch to golden them up, but I usually stick to broiling for less than a minutes, and they turn out perfect every time.
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We have hundreds of simple and delicious recipes that your family is going to love.
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
More easy side dish recipes for Thanksgiving:
- Grandma’s Thanksgiving Dressing (Stuffing)
- Roasted Honey Cinnamon Butternut Squash Recipe
- Strawberries and Cream Jello Dessert Salad Recipe
- Make-Ahead Mashed Potatoes
- Homemade Green Bean Casserole without Condensed Soup
- Twice Baked Potato Casserole
More sweet potato recipes to try:
- Instant Pot Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Brown Sugar Bacon Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Twice Baked Bacon and Chive Sweet Potatoes
- Maple Bacon Sweet Potatoes
- Coconut Pecan Sweet Potatoes
- Mom’s Sweet Potato Casserole
- Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
Slow Cooker Candied Sweet Potatoes Recipe (with Marshmallows)
- 6 sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread chopped sweet potatoes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine orange juice, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and brown sugar.
- Pour over the top of the sweet potatoes and place lid on the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours or high for 2-3.
- Once cooked, pour all the contents from your slow cooker into a baking dish.
- Top with marshmallows and broil in oven until marshmallows are golden brown (mine took about 45 seconds!).
- If you don’t want to add marshmallows, these sweet potatoes are delicious eaten as is after they are done cooking in the slow cooker! The marshmallows are totally optional.
- Slow Cooker
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish
This post was included in our Thanksgiving Made Easy with Slow Cooker Recipes video – for more inexpensive and delicious recipes like this one, click here to check it out!
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.