Our mom made this Easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole recipe often for Sunday dinner and whenever I smell it cooking, it always takes me back to her kitchen on a peaceful Sunday afternoon. We would request it all the time.
There are some recipes on our blog that are tried-and-true favorites from our childhood and Mom’s easy chicken broccoli casserole (chicken divan) is one of them.
If you have picky eaters who don’t love vegetables, this is a recipe that you need to try. The cheesy sauce mixed with the cooked broccoli is pretty delicious.
Want even more recipe ideas that use already made chicken ?! Try these 45 Cold Chicken Recipes (Best Leftover Chicken Ideas)!
Make sure you have these ingredients to make Mom’s Easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole:
- Fresh mushrooms
- Provolone cheese
- Use 1/2 cup sour cream in place of half of the mayonnaise
- Water chestnuts
- Cream of Broccoli soup instead of Cream of Chicken soup
- Cheddar cheese soup instead of Cream of Chicken soup
- Top with French fried onions instead of bread crumbs
- Top with corn flakes instead of bread crumbs. We always serve this casserole with baked potatoes, but it’s also delicious with mashed potatoes or cooked rice.
Don’t forget these items too:
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
How to make the BEST Chicken Broccoli Casserole (Chicken Divan) Recipe:
The idea of this recipe is simple – layer chicken and broccoli in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
Make the creamy sauce by mixing the cream of chicken soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder.
Pour this combined mixture over the broccoli and chicken.
Sprinkle shredded cheese over the top.
Break bread into small pieces and combine with the melted butter. Sprinkle the bread pieces over the cheese.
Bake for 20-25 minutes until it’s golden and bubbly.
You have a comfort-food dish that your whole family will love.
Helpful tips when you are making this Chicken Divan Casserole:
When it comes to the cooked chicken, I make it a couple of different ways. Sometimes I will boil whole frozen chicken breasts and place them on top of the cooked broccoli in the pan.
Sometimes I chop the chicken into bite-size pieces and spread it evenly over the broccoli (like in the picture above).
If I am really short on time, I will grab a rotisserie chicken at the store and shred it up, then spread it over the broccoli.
If you have leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, this casserole is a great way to use it up as well.
Now for the creamy sauce…trust me, I know that the ingredients seem a little strange, but their combined flavors are incredible.
You will need 2 cans of cream of chicken soup (I usually grab the reduced-fat version), mayonnaise, a little lemon juice, and curry powder.
The curry powder adds this little kick of flavor that makes the entire dish. Mix these ingredients together and add to the chicken and broccoli in the pan.
Restaurant Cooking in your very own Kitchen:
Did you know we have a Youtube Channel? We created it just for you. We wanted to show you how simple and delicious our recipes are.
We take you through each recipe, step by step, and show you exactly how to make it. We answer all your questions, and help you get the recipe, perfect, each and every time you make it.
If you are looking for more simple and delicious recipes, head over to our channel and check them out.
Looking for more chicken casserole recipes? Here are a few of our favorites:
- Pesto Chicken Casserole
- Teriyaki Chicken Casserole
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Texas Ranch Chicken Casserole
- Chicken Alfredo Gnocchi Casserole
- Chicken and Black Bean Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
Mom’s Easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole (Chicken Divan) Recipe
- 2 bunches fresh broccoli (can also use frozen)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked and cut into pieces if desired)
- 2 (10.5) ounces canned cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1½ slices bread
- 1 Tablespoon butter melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli in boiling salted water until tender and drain.
- Arrange stalks in the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Place cooked chicken breasts on top of broccoli.
- In a medium bowl, combine soup, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder; pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Break bread into small pieces and mix with melted butter. Sprinkle over shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- You can also use bread crumbs in place of the sliced bread with butter.
Sometimes I add a couple tablespoons of milk to the soup mixture so that it makes a “gravy” and serve that over baked potatoes as a side dish.
- Stock Pot
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish
- Medium Mixing Bowl
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!