When I became a mom, casseroles seemed to find their way into my meal planning, and this beef and noodle casserole recipe is no exception. Casseroles are budget-friendly recipes and perfect for weeknights.
This ground beef casserole recipe is a little different. It is a casserole recipe without canned cream of soup something or other.
I never really realized how often most casseroles use cream of soup for a base. I would say at least half of them do!
Beef and noodle casserole is an easy family dinner recipe you can make on your busier nights of the week.
Especially if you have a smaller family, you’ll have plenty for leftovers, and if you have a larger family you might not even have to double this recipe unless you do want leftovers
Ingredients Needed For This Beef and Noodle Casserole Recipe:
- Wide egg noodles
- Ground beef
- Garlic salt
- Tomato sauce
- Sour cream
- Small curd cottage cheese
- Diced green onions
- Sharp cheddar cheese
How To Make This Beef and Noodle Casserole Recipe:
Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Then, boil water and cook the egg noodles according to the directions on the packaging.
Once the noodles are done, rinse them in cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain them.
While the noodles are cooking, take the ground beef and brown it in a pan with garlic salt, salt, and pepper.
After all the beef is browned, drain the grease from the pan.
Next, add in the tomato sauce and let the meat simmer for 5 minutes over low heat.
In another mixing bowl, mix together the sour cream, cottage cheese, and the diced green onion together.
Once it’s all mixed together, add in the sour cream mixture to the rest of the meat and mix it all in.
Now, place the noodles and the creamy meat mixture in a 9×13 inch baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
Then, top the casserole with shredded cheese and bake it uncovered for about 20-25 minutes.
Once the timer is done, pull it out and serve it with your favorite sides!
To Make This Ground Beef Casserole Recipe You Will Need:
- 9×13 inch baking pan
- Skillet (THIS is a great one!)
- Medium mixing bowl
- Nonstick cooking spray
Egg Noodle Substitutes:
Do you need to replace the egg noodles with something else? Take a look at egg noodle substitutes from the Gourmet Sleuth there are plenty of suggestions!
If I don’t feel like making an extra trip to the grocery store I will normally check and see what other pasta I have in the pantry to use and it turns out just fine!
If you are not a fan of cottage cheese, you can always replace it with ricotta cheese!
And if sour cream is not going to work for you, try using plain Greek yogurt as a substitute.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Try Out These Delicious Casseroles:
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole Recipe
- Cowboy Casserole Recipe (Tater Tot Casserole)
- Million Dollar Casserole Recipe (Spaghetti Casserole)
- Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe
- John Wayne Casserole (Beef and Biscuit Casserole)
- Skinny Cheeseburger Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Noodle Casserole
- French Onion Chicken Noodle Casserole
Beef and Noodle Casserole Recipe
- 8 ounces wide egg noodles 1 package
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 ounces tomato sauce 1 can
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- ½ cup green onions diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook egg noodles following directions on packaging. Rinse noodles in cold water and drain.
- While noodles are cooking, brown ground beef in a pan with garlic salt and salt and pepper.
- Drain excess grease from beef.
- Add in tomato sauce and let simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl mix sour cream, cottage cheese, and green onions together. Add sour cream mixture to meat in skillet and mix well.
- Place noodles and meat mixture in a 9×13-inch baking pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and top with shredded cheese.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse the noodles in cold water to stop the cooking process, then drain them.
- If you are not a fan of cottage cheese, you can always replace it with ricotta cheese.
- If sour cream is not going to work for you, try using plain Greek yogurt as a substitute.
- 9×13 Inch Baking Dish
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Non-stick Cooking Spray
Recipe slightly adapted from The Pioneer Woman.
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram|Facebook|Pinterest|YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.