Our families’ favorite chicken casserole is this chicken and black bean casserole. It is absolutely amazing, you will love it.
It is one of those healthy chicken dinners that you can make as a budget-friendly dinner. So, no need to break the bank with this meal, or your diet.
You can make this easy healthy dinner in no time, even on those nights where you really just don’t feel like cooking. This recipe is easier than loading your whole family up in the car to get take out, I promise.
You can finish the casserole off with some of our Oven Roasted Vegetables, 30 Minute Homemade Rolls, and little Strawberries and Cream Jello Dessert Salad and enjoy an awesome meal!
Ingredients Needed For This Chicken and Black Bean Casserole:
- Brown rice
- Vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- Olive oil
- Diced onion
- Zucchini, thinly sliced
- Diced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Mushrooms, sliced
- Cayenne pepper
- Black beans, rinsed and drained
- Green chilies, drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese (monterey jack or swiss cheese could work too)
How To Make This Chicken and Black Bean Casserole:
Start this recipe by combining the rice and vegetable broth in a pot and bring it to a boil.
After it reaches a boil, turn the heat down, cover the pot and let the rice simmer for 45 minutes or until the rice is tender.
Then, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish.
Next, in a skillet, heat the oilve oil over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add in the diced onion and cook the onion until it is tender.
Once the onion is tender, add in the zucchini, chicken, and sliced mushrooms.
Now, add in the cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper and stir everything together.
Continue cooking everything together until the zucchini is browned and the chicken is heated through.
Using a large mixing bowl, add in the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, chiles, and half of the cheddar cheese and mix it all together.
Then, transfer all of the casserole mixings into the 9×13 pan and top it off with the rest of the cheese.
Now, just cover the casserole lightly with foil, and bake it for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, take the aluminum foil off and let the casserole bake for another 10 minutes or until it is bubbly and lightly browned.
To Make This Healthy Chicken Dinner Recipe You Will Need:
Make It Vegetarian
You can easily turn this into a vegetarian dish. All you have to do is omit the chicken breast, and you have a wonderful vegetarian dish.
Why Rinse Black Beans (Or Any Beans)
Have you ever wondered why you need to rinse and drain black beans, or most beans? Well besides the unwanted taste of the extra liquid the beans are stored in, there is a more important reason.
Check out the Better Homes and Gardens article that asks and answers the question, Should You Rinse and Drain Canned Beans.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Make More Amazing Casserole Recipes Like this Chicken and Black Bean Casserole:
- Chicken Taco Casserole Recipe
- Cowboy Casserole Recipe (Tater Tot Casserole)
- Million Dollar Casserole Recipe (Spaghetti Casserole)
- Chicken Zucchini Casserole Recipe
- John Wayne Casserole (Beef and Biscuit Casserole)
- 30 Minute Light Taco Casserole Recipe
Chicken and Black Bean Casserole Recipe
- ⅔ cup brown rice
- 1 cup vegetable broth Can also use chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ diced onion
- 2 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts diced
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- salt to taste
- ground cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 (15oz) can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 (4oz) can green chilies drained
- 1-2 cups shredded cheddar cheese Monterey Jack or Swiss would work too
- Mix the rice and vegetable broth in a pot, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a large 9×13? casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Mix in the zucchini, chicken, and mushrooms. Season with cumin, salt, and ground cayenne pepper. Cook and stir until zucchini is lightly browned and chicken is heated through.
- In large bowl, mix the cooked rice, onion, zucchini, chicken, mushrooms, beans, chiles, and 1/2 the cheese. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake 30 minutes in the preheated oven. Uncover, and continue baking 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
- This would also make a great vegetarian dish- just omit the chicken!
- You can easily turn this into a vegetarian dish. All you have to do is omit the chicken breast, and you have a wonderful vegetarian dish.
- large pot
- Wooden Spatula
- Large Mixing Bowl
- 9×13-inch Baking Pan
- Aluminum Foil
Be sure to not miss another recipe!
Follow Six Sisters’ Stuff on Instagram |Facebook |Pinterest | YouTube
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.
Questions & Reviews
Cooking is a good way to take a break from new project:
Love your site, thanks!