During the cold winter months in Utah, I love to have soup for dinner.
However, my husband thinks that in order to have soup as a main dish, it has to be VERY thick and hearty.
I love that this soup is loaded with vegetables and flavor, but it’s hearty enough to be a chili!
It’s filling, it’s delicious, and it has become one of our most favorite soup recipes.
How to make Minestrone Soup with Sausage:
The directions for this soup are fairly simple. Just a few steps and you will have dinner on the table in no time!
- In a large skillet, brown sausage in a skillet until fully cooked; drain grease.
- In a large stock pot, add beef broth, water, tomato sauce, tomatoes, kidney beans, celery, carrots, onion salt, garlic salt, and Italian seasoning; simmer until vegetables become tender (about 20-30 minutes).
- In a separate pot, cook 8-10 ounces of any pasta according to directions (we use shell pasta in this recipe, but any kind will do). When noodles are done, add to soup and mix in cooked sausage.
- If desired, top with grated Parmesan cheese and serve. It’s that easy!
How to make this soup healthier:
- Make this soup using Italian Turkey Sausage to lower fat and calories
- Use low-sodium canned items (such as beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce)
- Use whole wheat pasta
- Cut the amount of pasta used in half to reduce carbs (or omit pasta completely)
- Add in diced zucchini
- Add in 1-2 cups fresh baby spinach (it will shrink down as it cooks)
- Add in some chopped broccoli and cauliflower
- Add in 1-2 cups shredded cabbage
What are the nutrition facts of this soup?
This soup makes 6 generous servings. These nutrition facts are generated using Italian Turkey Sausage and do not include the Parmesan topping (because the amount of cheese used on top will vary).
Per serving, this soup has 370 calories, 10.3 g of fat, 43.4 g of carbs, 6.7 g of fiber, and 24.2 g of protein.
Our newest cookbook
Have you heard about our newest cookbook, Copycat Cooking? We took over 100 of our favorite restaurant recipes and simplified them so that you can make them right at home!
Every recipe has a beautiful mouth-watering photo and has been picky-eater approved. The directions are simple, easy to follow, and do not require any strange ingredients.
This cookbook includes copycat recipes from Wingers, Texas Roadhouse, Starbucks, Panera, Cheesecake Factory, Kneaders, and so much more. We have you covered from drinks, to dessert and everything in-between.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
Six Sisters’ Stuff COPYCAT COOKING <—– Click here to order!
Other popular soups on our website:
- King Ranch Chicken Soup
- Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup
- Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Healthy Chicken Fajita Soup
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup