Our family loves serving Caesar salad with dinner anytime we are having pizza or pasta. Rather than opening up a pre-made package of Caesar salad, I thought I would whip up a homemade version.
This Easy Caesar Salad and Homemade Caesar Dressing is so delicious and full of flavor that you’ll want to make it all the time!
Where does Caesar Salad come from?
Caesar salad comes from the salad’s creator, a chef named Caesar Cardini. Cardini was an Italian immigrant who operated restaurants in Mexico and the United States.
He was working in Tijuana at the time his daughter, Rosa, recounted that her father invented the salad at his restaurant.
Cardini had limited ingredients after a 4th of July rush at the restaurant, so he made the salad table-side by tossing together romaine, eggs and the ingredients he had on hand. The rest is history!
What ingredients are in Caesar Salad?
There are so many variations of Caesar salad, but some of the most common ingredients include:
- Olive oil
- Black pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Lemon juice
- Worcestershire sauce
- Raw or coddled eggs
- Grated parmesan cheese
How to Make Homemade Caesar Salad Dressing:
This Easy Caesar Salad Dressing is made without anchovies or raw eggs, so you don’t have to worry about any food contamination.
To make this easy Caesar dressing, simply whisk together grated parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, milk, lemon juice, dijon mustard and minced garlic.
If you prefer a smooth dressing, simply add all dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
That’s it! So easy, right? You’ll never want to go back to bottled Caesar salad dressing again.
How to make Homemade Caesar Salad:
Start by washing and drying the leaves of three hearts of romaine, then chop roughly and place in a large serving bowl.
Top with parmesan cheese, croutons and season with salt and pepper. Toss until combined.
Pour prepared dressing over the top and serve.
If you aren’t serving the salad immediately after making it, store dressing in the fridge and dress right before serving.
If you dress your salad too early before eating it, it can get soggy.
Weekly Menu Plans
Looking to eat healthier? Sign-up to receive a healthy menu plan and shopping list in your inbox every week!
EACH HEALTHY MENU PLAN INCLUDES:
- A WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 6 MAIN DISH RECIPES
- 2 SIDE DISH RECIPES
- 1 SNACK/TREAT RECIPE
- DETAILED SHOPPING LIST
Every recipe in the menu plan is 500 calories or less per serving and includes nutrition information to help you stay on track!
Learn more, view sample menu plans and join HERE!
The best green salad recipes:
- Layered Green Salad
- Italian Fresh Green Salad
- Layered Bacon and Swiss Salad
- Winter Cranberry Apple Salad
- Spring Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing
Easy Homemade Caesar Salad and Dressing (Without Anchovies) Recipe
- 3 hearts romaine (washed and roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup garlic croutons
- salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup fat free mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- In a large serving bowl, combine chopped romaine, 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and croutons.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, mayonnaise, milk, lemon juice, Dijon mustard and minced garlic.
- Pour dressing over salad, toss to coat and serve.
- If you aren't serving immediately after preparing, store dressing in the refrigerator and dress salad prior to serving.
- large serving bowl
- Small Mixing Bowl
Have you checked out our YouTube channel?
Looking for other delicious side dishes? Watch below to see how to make our Loaded Broccoli Salad that’s perfect for potlucks and parties!