This fruit salad was a staple at most family get-togethers and the best part about it is that you don’t have to have any experience in the kitchen to whip it up! It is just a matter of dumping five ingredients in a bowl and mixing it together. It is a perfect side dish to any meal or is great to take to any pot-luck dinner (it can easily be doubled or tripled).
There are SO many variations of Grandma’s 5 Cup Creamy Fruit Salad (I included a couple below), but I like the original way my Grandma makes it best.
1. Use vanilla yogurt in place of sour cream.
2. Use Pina Colada yogurt in place of sour cream.
3. Add 1/2 cup maraschino cherries.
4. Add chopped pecans for a crunch.
5. Top with corn flakes for a crunch.
6. Use Cool-Whip in place of sour cream – but really, the sour cream is AMAZING!)
Tips on making 5 cup Creamy Fruit Salad
- If you are using canned fruit, but sure to drain it VERY well! If you don’t you will have a soggy salad by the time you are ready to eat it.
- I know what you are thinking… the sour cream sounds gross. I’m telling you, just try it and your life will change forever. ha ha!
- I wouldn’t suggest making this recipe the night before. If you do, it will be soggy in the morning.
How to Make Grandma’s 5 Cup Creamy Fruit Salad (Video)
The PERFECT Steak
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken
Steak and Mushroom Kabobs