For an easy ground beef recipe, make our slow cooker ground beef shepherd’s pie recipe. When you make this slow cooker shepherd’s pie recipe, you are able to take the traditionally loved shepherd’s pie recipe and take the extra work out of it!
You can make slow cooker ground beef recipes that are perfectly flavorful and delicious. And this slow cooker hamburger pie recipe is definitely one of them.
Since you don’t have to make it all over the stove top, you can prep it, set it all up in the slow cooker and leave it, making time for other things. Which, is exactly the kind of recipe I love to make on the nights where we have the the sports and school events that take up a lot of time.
We have some great recipes that you can use ground beef in the slow cooker. Some of my top recipes I like to make are our slow cooker tamale pie recipe, slow cooker cheesy beef and potatoes, and you definitely can’t go wrong with our slow cooker Mexican hamburger hashbrown casserole recipe. They are all extremely wonderful and made perfectly in the slow cooker.
Ingredients You Need to Make Our Slow Cooker Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe:
- Lean ground beef
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- Whole wheat flour
- Tomato paste
- Worcestershire sauce
- Soy sauce
- Low sodium beef broth
- Frozen mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, and corn)
- Intant mashed potatoes (or homemade)
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Fresh parsley, chopped
How To Make Our Slow Cooker Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe:
To begin, get our your slow cooker, plug it in and spray it all with nonstick cooking spray.
Then brown the ground beef along with the diced onion and minced garlic on the stove top in a large skillet over medium high heat.
Once the meat is fully cooked, pour the meat mixture into a colander to drain the grease.
Now add the meat back to the pan along with the wheat flour and cook it all for another minute.
After the flour cooks in, stir in the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and beef broth and cook it all together for 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken up.
Then reduce the heat down to low and pour in the frozen veggies, salt, and pepper, and stir it all together.
Once everything is mixed together, pour the meat mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker and spread it out long the bottom.
Now, prepared the instant mashed potatoes according to the packaging and then carefully spread the potatoes over top of the meat.
After the layers have been made, place the lid on the slow cooker and turn it to low for 5-6 hours or until the shepherd’s pie is bubbly.
Next, remove the lid from the slow cooker and sprinkle on the cheese and return the lid to the slow cooker.
Allow the cheese to cook with everything for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is fully melted.
Then simply top the pie with fresh parsley, serve and enjoy!
To Make This Easy Ground Beef Recipe You Will Need:
- Slow cooker (THIS one works great!)
- Large skillet
- Wooden spatula
- Nonstick cooking spray
Can I Put Raw Ground Beef in the Slow Cooker?
You can, but most recipes have a step for browning the ground beef first to make sure that it is evenly cooked and the grease is drained. If you put the ground beef in the slow cooker raw, you will want to break it into little pieces first and then make sure that it’s fully cooked before consuming food.
I have found that I prefer to cook it before adding it to the slow cooker because then I can drain the grease off of the meat. However, if you want a recipe that doesn’t require cooking the ground beef before adding it to the slow cooker, check out our Slow Cooker Hobo Dinner recipe.
What is the Difference Between Shepherd’s Pie and Cottage Pie?
The biggest difference, and really the only difference between shepherd’s pie and cottage pie is the meat that you use as the base for the meal.
Traditionally shepherd’s pie was always made with minced lamb meat in areas like England and Ireland. Whereas as cottage pie was traditionally made with minced beef.
It seems as though the two are almost one in the same here in the United States. So if you make to make this the traditional way to make shepherd’s pie, opt for some minced lamb instead of ground beef.
Can I Use Homemade Mashed Potatoes?
We simply use instant mashed potatoes for this recipe out of easy and simplicity, but you are more than welcome to use homemade mashed potatoes it its place!
The Cozy Cook has a great homemade mashed potatoes recipe that you can give a shot and replace the instant mashed potatoes in this recipe.
Want More Easy Dinner Ideas?
Join our email list today and we will send you a FREE ebook of our favorite dinner recipes – plus we will send you recipes each week to help make your dinner planning easier!
Join today by CLICKING HERE.
Have you checked out our YouTube channel? We show you how to make our favorite recipes right in our own kitchens!
Our latest cookbook – Six Ingredients with Six Sisters’ Stuff – is all about using a few ingredients to make a delicious dinner! With only 6 ingredients or less per recipe in this cookbook, cooking has never been easier!
Whether you are a cook just starting out or a busy parent looking to save time in the kitchen, this cookbook is for you! It’s full of entrees, side dishes, and desserts.
We are so excited to share these recipes with you. Order your copy today!
SIX INGREDIENTS with Six Sisters’ Stuff <—– Click here to order!
Love cooking as much as we do? Join our FREE private Facebook Group: Six Sisters’ Dinner Club!
Dishes to Serve With a Shepherd’s Pie Dinner:
- Instant Pot Green Beans Recipe
- Cheesy Garlic Texas Toast Recipe
- Air Fryer Parmesan Broccoli Recipe
- Olive Garden Fresh Garden Salad Copycat Recipe
- 5 Minute Fluffy Yogurt Fruit Salad Recipe
- Texas Roadhouse Rolls Copycat Recipe
- Caprese Salad Recipe
- 30 Minute Homemade Rolls Recipe
More Ways to Make and Love Shepherd’s Pie:
- Quick and Easy Shepherd’s Pie Casserole Recipe
- Easy Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Shepherds Pie Chili Recipe
Slow Cooker Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 14.5 ounces low sodium beef broth
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables carrots, peas and corn
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 13.75 ounces instant mashed potatoes (or homemade)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- fresh parsley chopped, optional topping
- Spray slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- On the stove top, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add ground beef, onion, and garlic. Sauté until beef is fully cooked. Drain grease.
- Add flour and cook for a minute longer.
- Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, and beef broth. Cook for 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir in the frozen vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Pour meat mixture into the bottom of prepared slow cooker.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions. Carefully spread 5 cups prepared mashed potatoes on top of the meat.
- Place lid on top and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until bubbly.
- Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese, then place lid back on top and cook for 10 more minutes or until cheese is melted. If desired, top with fresh parsley.
- We simply use instant mashed potatoes for this recipe out of easy and simplicity, but you are more than welcome to use homemade mashed potatoes it its place!
- Slow Cooker
- Large Skillet
- Wooden Spatula
- nonstick cooking spray
If you made our recipe be sure to tag us on Instagram so we can see your hard work using #sixsistersstuff.